Friday, June 10, 2011

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts

I'm having a really good day today.  I did a workout this morning, I'm feeling good (I think maybe it's vitamins that make me feel better, who knew?), annnnd I got my Stampin' Up order today with a brand-new catalog to drool over.  Oh yes, they will be getting lots of my money next year (Lee, you so totally did not see that last sentence!)


And here I am with the last of the Scotland pictures.  First up, I remembered this time to post the picture of the sticky toffee pudding!



I have no idea what it actually is, other than totally delicious.  The cakey part was warm and there was vanilla ice cream with it; other places you'll get cream rather than ice cream.  We weren't sure what the little fruit on top was (under all the powdered sugar)...a kumquat maybe?  I forget.  Lee ate it though.


And here's my new Hogwarts banner hanging up in my house since I know my Harry Potter trivia : )


Here you can see where I hung it up; there was a screw in the wall already and we didn't have anything else to go there (perhaps we should have taken the screw out when we painted, but whatever) so that's where the banner will live until we get something else to go there.  If we get something else to go there, I kinda like the Hogwarts crest.

So, for our last stop on our Scotland trip, we went to Hogwarts.  Really!


This is Alnwick Castle in Northumberland,  which was used for exterior shots of Hogwarts in the first two Harry Potter movies.  For whatever reason, the name of the castle is pronounced "Onnick" or "Annick" (rhymes with attic) so they ignore the L and W.


This is the Lion Arch, which was used for the front entrance to Hogwarts in Sorcerer's Stone.  It's also been used in some other movies, most notably Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves.


I remember all the little statues from the Harry Potter movies, remember the one that had two crossed swords that Harry hit the Bludger between during his Quidditch lesson with Oliver Wood?  That one was made just for the movie, it's not actually part of the castle.


Just 'cause I thought it was a neat shot : )


This is where they filmed both Harry's first flying lesson with Madam Hooch and the Quidditch lesson with Oliver Wood.


The castle belongs to the Percy family, and I think that I heard it was the second-largest inhabited castle in England, after Windsor.



The Lion Arch again; there's a plant off to the left side of the photo, I think it was holly, which was supposed to keep witches/wizards from entering the castle.  We had a little guided tour and our tour guide pointed that out and noted that Harry and his friends had no trouble getting in the castle.


The Lion Arch and the parapet were also used in Robin Hood, you know when Robin goes to the castle near the end of the movie to rescue his guys?  He stands on the castle wall here at Alnwick and shoots an arrow that severs the hanging rope of one of his men that was hanging in a castle in southern France.  As our tour guide said, that had to be a world-record shot!  You also see this bit of the castle walls in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when Harry and Ron fly over the wall in the flying Ford Anglia.


Oops, I didn't realize I did two almost identical shots on here.  Oh well, here's a second view of the walls!



There is a row of what looks like manhole covers running diagonally across this courtyard, which mark the line of the Whistling Tunnel.  There is a little narrow tunnel running across the courtyard which servants used to transport food from the kitchen to the big formal dining rooms; since it was enclosed it kept the food from getting cold en route during the winter.  To keep them from sampling the food, they had to whistle while they walked!  It's also reputedly haunted by a woman's ghost.


This is a statue of Harry Hotspur, a Percy family ancestor who was a big hero back in the day.



And there's a view from up on the castle parapet, pretty countryside, huh?  This concludes our trip to Scotland.  So now we need to go somewhere else so I can post more pictures for you : )  Until that happens, I'm gonna go look through my new Stampin' Up catalog again!

3 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Okay, so it's a rainy Saturday morning here, and I am sitting on the couch sipping my coffee and LOVING your blog! I keep making Rick look at every picture as I gleefully share all of the HP scoop with him. He laughed and said you and I were to made to be friends because we are too much alike! :)

I have a knack for taking good tree branch photos (or at least I like to think that I do). You and/or Lee rock at the sky photos! You always take such awesome shots with the sky in the background! I can imagine myself standing there waiting for the clouds to be perfect. They seem to perfect themselves for you two!

I like the "brick pic" you stuck in just 'cause you think it's a neat shot. It is! I like all of the different colors in the brick. I'm always amazed by centuries-old architecture and how perfect they were able to make things like the arches.

The Hogwarts banner adds just the right touch! See, that screw was meant to stay in the wall. :) Besides, the banner is proof that you are just too cool!

So now I am completely envious that I can't sit and peruse the new catalog. Enjoy!

Okay, novella over, LOL!

Giffysk8s said...

So I had to search for Sticky Toffee Pudding recipes to satisfy my curiosity about it's ingredients. BAD IDEA because now I want some! Most of the ones I found were for 9x13 pans. Rachel Ray has one for a Bundt pan, and it actually sounds the best because you poke holes in the cake so that some of the caramel sauce seeps into it. Sounds like a great holiday dessert! Here's the recipe just in case you're interested:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/dessert-recipes/Sticky-Toffee-Pudding

And thanks for the 10 pounds I will probably gain! LOL

CCsMom said...

Kik, YUM!!! Oo-la-la! Not going to access that link above . . . I have enough bad habits as it concerns SUGAR.

Dad departed FINE. He took two suitcases -- and had to pay an extra $60 for the privilege. YIKES! I'm going to suggest he throw the smaller one and stuff everything in his larger one. I think he can actually do that. I zipped the smaller one down (lowering the lid) and there was quite a bit of room in the larger one. Once he gets things to you, he'll be SUPER for room. Should've shipped it, I guess -- wouldn't have cost me $60. Ha! Hindsight. Love you!