Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

How's your holiday weekend going?  I am celebrating the fact that I am once more independently mobile.  Lee's car, Ron the Rover, turned out to be a Death Eater in disguise (apparently Rovers are infamous for having engines that break down not only frequently but expensively), so we had to go car shopping again.  So now the Rover's new name is Rookwood.  I, for one, think car shopping is akin to torture, but on Saturday we bought a car.  Behold:


This is a Toyota Yaris Verso, and the dude who sold it to us opined that she's a girl, so now we need a name.  We've still got Harry the Honda (I was feeling alliterative when we first named our England cars) but I kinda want to stick with the Harry Potter name theme for this one and I can't do alliteration with Y or V (well, Verity, but I was thinking one of the more central characters, and girl so it's not Voldemort).  So what do you reckon:  Ginny, Luna or Hermione?   Had she been silver, she would have been Luna no question.  I kind of like Ginny but Mom voted Hermione (not having even seen a photo so we'll see if that changes anything).

Lee has been working all weekend (yes, all weekend) trying to get ready for a big project he's starting at work this week, so I've been chillin' at the house with three dogs...we're dog-sitting Ellie, a sweet chocolate Lab, who is like Stealth Puppy.  I keep looking for her to make sure she's okay, not that she's misbehaving (because she isn't) but just because she makes no noise.  I'll be working in my craft room and look around and there she is; five minutes later I look again and she's not there anymore.  But she's a good little girl, unlike Sadie who is currently putting her nose up on the dining room table and begging for Ellie's dinner.

So, while I'm chillin' with the doglets, I've been working on the new baby books for Tiana and Sarah.  Here's Tiana's October layout:


It's reasonably cute, right?  I'm not 100% sure I like the batty background but I don't think it's terrible.  I'm trying to make the new books a little different from their first books so I've kind of been reinventing the wheel a bit coming up with some new designs.  I worked for a very long time on Sarah's October layout:


SARAH, YOU HAD BETTER TOTALLY LOVE THIS.  Sarah's favorite holiday is Halloween so I wanted to make this layout really, really cool.  She wanted bats and jack o' lanterns and I thought I'd try using the three characters from SU's old stamp set Best Fiends, whom I have dubbed Agnes, Frankie and Drac.  What took so long on this layout was coloring in the three fiends with colored pencils.


Here's Agnes, the flash reflected a little bit on her (she looks better IRL).  I also masked off all three of them and sponged on a bit of light blue ink for background (yes, it took forever to cut out the masks and I know I'm crazy for doing it).  Agnes was the easiest to color since most of her outfit is just black (well, I shaded with 3 or 4 different shades of gray, but you know what I mean).


Frankie and Drac took longer to color in, but I think they turned out pretty nice.  The color doesn't look quite right on Frankie's shirt in the picture; it's actually a purple that matches the inside of Drac's cape.  I chose the background stamp for the page base because the circles reminded me of the eyeballs in Drac's boo-quet.

Since today is the 4th of July, I couldn't just post Halloween layouts, so I spent the afternoon working on Tiana's July layout:


I'm not sure if I'll do Sarah's exactly like this or not, I've got some other stamps that I might want to play with (and I'm totally tired of coloring!!)  That said, I think this is the first time I've come up with a July layout that I really kinda liked.  Well, we'll see what I end up doing later, 'cause it's dinnertime now.

Hope you're having a great holiday and remember to thank a service member if you get the opportunity : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! You are so talented! The 4th of July page with the bear... So cute. Reminds me of smokey the bear! And love the Halloween bats! T

CCsMom said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the July layout. So CUTE!!! I really like how the stars turned out.

We're getting ready to go to Adam and Adrienne's at 4:30 for a cookout. I THINK Adam got his new grill. This whole weekend has been a bust for Dad. I don't think we'll stay long at the "A" Team's, but we'll at least make an appearance and eat something. Then I think I'll come home and do a bit more cleaning. Even though I mowed on Friday, it ALREADY looks as though I need to do it again. How does THAT happen with Texas in a drought and it 100 degrees out? Lucky me.

Love you and happy 4th. Thank you to my service son, Lee! I'll be sure to kiss Adam's cheek for his service, too!

CCsMom said...

Shoot, I forgot to say something about your new car. I LOVE it. The color is fabulous. I think I'll stick with Hermione, though. Luna would be my 2nd pick.

Giffysk8s said...

LOVE your new layouts! Agnes, Frankie, and Drac are just too cute!!! And I like the color combos on both layouts.

Okay, I know it's not a major character, but what about Veela? It's Harry Potterish and it's from Greek mythology, which I know you also like. My next vote is Luna. I just love her!

BTW, check out my blog post for today. :)

Happy 4th!

Thoughts by B and M said...

I'd go with the name Ginny - and the blue car reminds me of a certain green car.... :)