Friday, July 8, 2011

London's SeaLife Aquarium

I am having one of those days where I just feel really tired...I even feel like my limbs are extra-heavy today.  I hate days like this; I feel like I wasted the day because I ended up falling asleep for 4 hours this afternoon.  And I've still got so many ideas percolating for the baby books I wanted to work on those today and here it is 6:15 on a Friday night and the only time I've gone in my craft room today was to vacuum.  Well, at least I got the vacuuming done (or Hoovering as they call it here!)

I'm behind with posting pictures from last month's trip to London.  I told Lee that he had to pick what to do/where to go this time so he chose the SeaLife Aquarium, which is on the banks of the Thames within sight distance of the Houses of Parliament and right next to the London Eye.  The day we went (whatever day that was, I forget) was the first time that we've had the stereotypically dreary rainy English day, so good thing we were inside for most of it (although we did get rained on going back and forth to Tube stations and to the restaurant where we ate lunch).


You're not allowed to use a flash when taking pictures inside the aquarium, so none of these is really stellar but not too terrible I think under the circumstances.  We saw several of these things on the walls; reminded us of Disneyland and how they always decorate everything to the hilt.  The aquarium was quite nice but totally crowded and I was reminded why I dislike small children.


I think this may have been our favorite thing to look at, judging by how many pictures we took trying to get a good one.  These are snakelocks anemones...they kind of remind me of Fraggle Rock or Muppets or something...no wait, they look like Treasure Trolls hair!!  I used to have some of those, I wonder where they are now.


This was in the largest tank in the aquarium, no idea what it is but I liked the vivid lime green color.  This tank was so big that they had windows on a couple of different floors and from all different sides, including a tunnel along the bottom of the tank.  It was home to lots of fish and several types of sharks.


So you can see a bit more of the tank and my lime green whatsits.



They had this big thing on the bottom of the tank that was supposed to be a whale skeleton or something I think (I'm sure it was fake).  Kinda cool looking.  And since I couldn't use a flash, the fish look like they're moving REALLY fast ; )


We looked in this tank and Lee said, "Huh, those things look like jellyfish turned upside down."  We checked the sign next to the tank and sure enough, they're called upside-down jellyfish.


I got four or five pictures of this dude that just look like a blur with stripes, so I was happy to get a photo that's this clear.


This starfish reminded me of Flo on Finding Nemo, how she stuck to the side of the aquarium and watched the dentist work.  We saw some cleaner shrimp too : )  They also had several tanks with seahorses in them but I couldn't get any photos (darned kids).


And there's my sweetie pie!  One of the last exhibits in the aquarium was all about Antarctica and they had a colony of Gentoo penguins.   We had fun watching them; they're super fast in the water and look so funny when they pop up onto the bank and waddle around.  There was one who kept going to the waterside like he was going to jump in, then he'd chicken out and walk away.  He did that five or six times before he took the plunge.  He was so cute!

The aquarium was pretty nice, but it's got nothing on the Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa.  Of course, that one is like the second-largest in the world, so it's bound to be impressive.  Still, we had a good time although I think it would have been better had it been a bit less crowded.  Eh, what can you do.

4 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Awesome pics! I love the Fraggle Rock anemones, how fun! I wonder if I could buy a 30 gallon tank and have you break into the aquarium and steal some for me? LOL! I also wonder if they sell Fraggle Rock dvd's...man I used to love me some Fraggle Rock!

I think we're spoiled with the aquarium here in Oki, nothing will be that cool, ever! LOL!

I miss you babe!!!!

Amber Hight said...

FRAGGLE ROCK!

Sorry, just wanted to say it again, bahahaha!

Liz Guidry said...

LOL @ Amber! I love me some fraggle rock too!

The 'dude' with the stripes is a zebra fish. I got a nice pic of him from the Sea Life Centre ;)

Great pics. I love the one of the starfish and Lee. We will have to go there when Bobby returns!!

CCsMom said...

Hi Kik -- back to the living. I am really tired, but Dad is home and won't have to go back to work until Wednesday. That's good because he is really weak. But he's especially glad to be home. Hope you talk to you soon!!! Love, Mom