Friday, July 22, 2011

Revisiting Hawaii

Well, I have no baby book updates this week...I said last time I was going to let them sit for a day or two while I waited for a brain wave to strike about the color combo for the next couple layouts, and here it is over a week later and I haven't done anything on them at all.  I have, however, made progress on my unmounting project; had to stop on that for now because I ran out of both cling foam and stamp cases.  I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of my collection though so I can see exactly how much impact this project is making on my storage space : )

So what have I been doing?  Well, Lee has been working insanely long hours the last couple of weeks, and will be for a while yet, so I've been managing the home front:  taking care of the dogs, making dinner (which he usually has to reheat whenever he gets home since I never know when that will be), watching a few movies I know Lee wouldn't care to watch with me (read:  old Star Trek movies), cleaning house.  Yesterday I did six loads of laundry, dishes (I hate dishes, but I do them a lot since we don't eat out that often here), cleaned the shower, vacuumed, and straightened up our bedroom and made it look nice.  So I haven't been totally idle.

Last week I finally got to see the season finale of Hawaii Five-0...yes, British TV is behind the American schedule, but at least I didn't have to wait so long to see the season finales of NCIS and NCIS:  LA.  Haven't gotten to the end of Castle's season 3 yet though.  Anyway, I digress.  In honor of the finale of Hawaii Five-0 (and because Missy wanted to see them), I thought I'd revisit Hawaii a bit today and show you pictures of our helicopter tour.


My dad couldn't believe that Lee got me on a helicopter without drugging me first.  I actually did okay, until we were about 2/3 through the ride and I started to get a little green around the gills.  Luckily, I can still say I have never actually thrown up on an airborne vehicle of any kind, although there have been a few close calls.  I hate getting motion sick.


I couldn't even count the number of rainbows we saw during the ride, which was 30 or 45 minutes, I forget.  And of course we're stuck with that annoying bit of schmutz on the camera lens...need to get Lee to edit some shots before I have photos printed for my scrapbook.  He's got time on that though, I have *hundreds* of photos already printed that I can work on...these baby books are higher priority right now though.  Anyway, Lee took enough photos that if you click through them fast enough it looks like a movie, so I just pulled a very few out of probably 200 that we have.


Love how bright the rainbow is in this one.  Hehe, Rainbow Brite.  Ok, I amuse myself.



There's Diamond Head off to the right.  We toyed with the idea of climbing it, but then we remembered that Missy and Bennet weren't with us so what was the point.


I love this shot, just seeing all the colors in the water so you can tell where the deep bits are.  Lee took all the pictures during the ride; a.) he's still better at the camera settings than I am and b.) I was trying not to get sick.


Just kind of fun to see all those houses sandwiched in between the bare mountains.


Rainbow out the other side of the helicopter.  It was a small helicopter, fit I think just five people plus the pilot and it was a little squishy in there.


I think this was coming over the northwest side of the island.


Big waterfall...not the one we saw at the botanical gardens, this one is much higher.  From what I remember, people aren't allowed to hike around this one, I can't remember the whole story about it. 


That's the Dole pineapple plantation; if you click on the photo to see it bigger, you can see the pineapple maze in the middle.  I believe Dole supplied the pineapple for SpongeBob's house.


Out towards Pearl Harbor...pretty impressive with all the ships, huh?



There you can see the memorial at the USS Arizona.



And now we're heading back in towards the airport.


Know why I'm smiling?  'Cause I didn't throw up on the helicopter.  WIN.  Know what else?  That helicopter was the same one that was used in an episode of Hawaii Five-0, which we hadn't seen at all when we were there...I started watching it with my dad while I was back in Texas before we came to England.  It's been fun too, 'cause when I watch I see certain things and I'm like "I've been there!" which is cool.  Lee watches with me sometimes, but not always.  He likes to poke fun at how they have a chase scene in every single episode but that's okay, I like the show : )

3 comments:

Thoughts by B and M said...

Oh yes, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them - especially the rainbow shows! How amazing and how lovely!!!! Thanks for posting the Five-O! :)

Anonymous said...

This could be my most FAVORITE posting of yours yet (next to the one where you mentioned Robin's Nest, of course)! I Love RAINBOWS!!! Always have Always will love them. Never quite got up the courage for the helicopter tour on my ventures over to lovely HI. Of course I regret that now. We too LOVE Hawaii 50 and both NCISs. Went to a scrap retreat this wknd. I finished my Osaka scrap pages, still have Tokyo to go,covered some chipboard letters for Robin's Nest and even made a cute sign. I'll post pic's soon. By the way, did ya notice the letters R,O,B,I,N are in the word rainbow??? Just thought this could your something learned for the day:o) Happy day honey!

Liz Guidry said...

Lucky duck - I've never been to Hawaii. I am amazed by all the rainbows in the pictures!