Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dover Castle, Part 2

So in my first Dover Castle post, the pictures all showed gorgeous blue sky with some puffy white clouds thrown in there for contrast, looked like a really lovely day, right?  It didn't stay that way.


We knew the rain was a-comin' so we climbed up onto the roof of the Great Tower to take some pictures up there before the deluge commenced.  Since the castle is on the tallest hill in the area, and we were atop the tallest building on the tallest hill in the area, we had some really nice views of the surrounding countryside.


And that's where all the people who did *not* get rock star parking like we did had to park.  Suckas!  It would be a very long walk from there up a pretty steep hill to get to the admissions area, so they have a tram that runs from the main parking lot up to the admissions area.  But we got to park practically in the backyard of the admissions area, 'cause we're cool like that.  Heheheheh.  I'm practicing my Emerson Cod laugh...I've been re-watching Pushing Daisies for the last couple days, I *love* that show, if you've never seen it before you should buy it on DVD RIGHT NOW.  You won't be sorry.


Another part of the castle and it looks like a group of people having a picnic on the lawn.  The castle grounds are pretty extensive so despite wandering all over for most of the day, we still missed some things.


Still taking pictures from on top of the tower, this is the side opposite where the rain was bearing down on us from.  Pretty colors, huh?


The building whose top breaks the horizon line is a Saxon-era church, so it's about a thousand years old.  The thing right next to it is the remains of a Roman pharos (lighthouse) which is somewhere between 1,700 and 1,800 years old and was, at one point, refitted to be a bell tower for the church.  It used to be a lot taller than it is now.


And here's a picture taken across the roof of the tower, just 'cause the clouds looked so cool.  And ominous.


Raining on Dover!


And here is our patented self-portrait, taken just before we decided to beat feet back inside the tower before we got drenched.  We explored several rooms inside the tower, which have recently been refitted to show what they might have looked like during a state visit in Henry II's time, but from looking at my guide books we seem to have missed several rooms.  It's kind of a labyrinth of passageways inside the tower so I'm not surprised we missed some things.


Lee took this picture, and there aren't ghosts in it (although an old castle like this one would be high on my list of places likely to harbor ghosts)...he put the camera down on a bench and set the exposure for a really long time, so the smears are people who walked through the shot while it was taking the picture.  We may have to get a lens that does better in low-light situations, or else bring the tripod...or rely on our point-and-shoot camera for low-light stuff, it actually does pretty well in most cases.


After the rain abated, we went back outside to take some more pictures of the castle and its grounds.  And Lee made me go up and down more stairs.



After we climbed a hill to take this shot, we found a place where you could go down stairs (lots of stairs) into some of the tunnels from the 1700s, so we did that.


Lee's using his cellphone as a flashlight to look into a side tunnel, which you totally can't tell because I took this photo with a flash.  Heh.



And there's a more close-up shot of the Roman pharos, next to the Saxon church.  The church at one point fell into disuse and was used for things like coal storage, a place to play some type of game (I forget what), and then filled with rubble.  It's been cleaned out once again holds services every Sunday.

If you want a recommendation for something else to buy, and I know you care about my opinion hehe, I suggest a recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, one of my favorite pieces.  I've been listening to it while composing this : )  Epically beautiful.  The fourth movement is my particular favorite, but I love the whole thing.  And Mom, I'm downloading the Jackie Evancho CD into my iTunes right now.

4 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

That storm looks just like one we had in Bermuda (I'll post a pic of it today). Really pretty, in my opinion, but WET! Ha!

LOVE the Roman pharos and Saxon church.

Okay, you are posting sooo many cool photos of England that I don't know how I will ever chose what to see/do in only a few days!

Liz Guidry said...

I like your 'ghost' picture. Looks like a giant castle with lots of cool photo ops. Will have to check it out soon. :)

Thoughts by B and M said...

Beautiful pictures! I love English Castles!!!!!!

CCsMom said...

Wow, it looks like you were REALLY high up. Beautiful. I had to look at these pictures again after I got home because they showed dark on my computer at work. Super. I LOVE it.