Friday, October 7, 2011

Fair Face, Part 2

In the last few days, I've gotten a couple of comments from people other than my mom, so HI!!!  I'm so glad you stopped by!  Gee, maybe I should be pathetic on the Interwebs more often if it makes people comment.  Just kidding, I will try *not* to be pathetic.  Much.

It's time for another Scarlet Quince cross stitch update.  Behold!


(Phase 1 is here if you would like to compare.)  I did A LOT of black this month.  Like multiple skeins of nothing but black.  I only worked with two symbols, the plain black and one that's a blend of black and slightly brownish black.  As a reminder, here's what she'll look like on the twelfth of never:


I've decided that "Take the Fair Face of Woman" is too long a title, so she needs a name.  I thought of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, but for some reason that didn't work for this fairy (I think Titania should be either an ice-blonde or have raven hair, don't ask me why), so I was trying to think of a name to go with a girl who has red-gold hair when inspiration hit.  Her name is now Eilonwy, after a character in Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, who was always described as a princess with red-gold hair.  I've always loved the name Eilonwy anyway.  If you've never read the books, I cannot recommend them highly enough, 'cause I know you come here for my book and movie recommendations (more of those soon).

If you're curious, I managed to put in a whopping 10,547 stitches this time around, meaning that this piece is now just a bit shy of 16% finished.  20,057 down, 105,943 more to go, ha.  Next time around I won't be able to do quite so many stitches because I'll be working on the many zillions of color changes on her butterfly crown, but that will be fun.  Nice change from black, although I think a lot of the symbols in the butterfly crown are some color blended with black, so I won't escape it entirely.  But that's okay.

For this month, I'm taking a break from the Scarlet Quince rotation to finish up some other projects so I can give them to my mom for framing.  But I'll be back to attack The Accolade in November, and I might work on that one for two months since my parental units will be out here and we'll be so busy with the holidays.  I've only got a tiny start on that one anyway and it's the biggest of the pieces in my current rotation, although believe it or not I've amassed most of the supplies for an even *bigger* piece.  And one more.  'Cause I'm crazy.  But you knew that already.

I got my sweetie pie back today so I am now a happy camper.  No firm plans as to what we might do this weekend, although there may be a trip to London involved.  As long as I get to spend time with Lee, I'll be happy : )  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Yay for making progress on your stitching project. I'm glad your sweetie is back home. :)

Giffysk8s said...

Well, of course I already knew you were crazy. That's why I love you. :) Just wish I could keep as many projects going at once as you do.

I love it when you post photos of your stitching progress. You weren't kidding when you said you've stitched a lot of black! Eilonwy's crown is going to be so fun to stitch!

So happy that your sweetie pie is home. I remember you saying that you love pie. I thought you were talking about fruit pies, not Lee. LOL Hope you two find something fun to do this weekend! Looks like Rick is going to winterize our yard while I crank on my baby books tomorrow. Sunday afternoon we are going to the pumpkin patch with Emma and Brittany, one of our favorite activities of the year! Not only is Emma the cutest pumpkin in the patch, but we always indulge in hot cider and fresh cider doughnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar. I can almost taste them now. Yum! When you come visit me, maybe you should come in October so you could see a New England autumn and have cider doughnuts!

Christy Lynn said...

Oh Miss Vicki, I laughed so hard when I read that you thought I meant REAL pie when I talked about my sweetie pie! I do indeed love pie, both the Lee kind and the fruit kind. And the chocolate kind. : )

Amber and I both wanna come visit you in the fall so we can see all the fantastic colors and that pumpkin patch outing sounds really awesome too!

Giffysk8s said...

Ok, now I'm laughing hard! In one of your posts, you had a photo of an arch that you thought looked like pie crust. So my goofy reference to "pie" was because of that, LOL I knew that "sweetie pie" meant Lee! See...we are two goofy and crazy peas in a pod. :)

CCsMom said...

Yes, I'm packed and ready to go to Stillwater!!! Go Cowboys! But I had to see what's been on your blog and who has commented.

Hope you have a great weekend. I imagine we won't get to talk 'cuz we'll get home too late on Sunday (our afternoon). But we'll email and I'll send you pictures. Love you!

Amber Hight said...

Oooo, Eilonwy is turning out BEAUTIFULLY! You have so much patience, I'm sure I've said that before, but I'd have thrown that thing in the trash 9 times by now, hahaha!I get SOOOO frustrated when I cross stitch because I inevitable mess up somewhere, epically, and have no way to fix it! You are my cross-stitch hero! Can't wait to see her all finished up:)

Amber Hight said...

Oh and I agree, we're going to have SOOO much fun when we go visit Vicki! w00t! :)