Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Flashback (sort of): Fall & Halloween Cards

Where has this week gone??  I swear it should only be Wednesday or something, I really don't know where the time has gone.  Judging by this week's to-do list, I've been busy though : )  Lots of crossed-out items...still lots more to do, but the crossed-out items are satisfying to look at.  I didn't really feel like sorting through the last of the pictures from September's road trip, so instead it's back to stampy goodness.  This is gonna be like a fake Flashback Friday 'cause I'm not highlighting one stamp set; instead I picked through my archives for some fall and Halloween cards.  But the first couple are all-new.


And this one is neither fall nor Halloween, but work with me here.  I used this week's Splitcoast color challenge:  Baja Breeze (one of my all-time favorite colors), Rich Razzleberry, and Island Indigo.  I'm trying to get back into doing the weekly color and sketch challenges on SCS since that will be a good way to replenish my card stash.  (Unfortunately I haven't gotten to this week's sketch yet.)


Lookit that, these cards are both all-new *and* fally.  I got the idea for these from this week's Fall-To Layout over on Clean & Simple Sketches, except I made a horizontal card instead of vertical like on the original sketch.  I had to do that to accommodate both leaves on the left (didn't look right with just one cut-out leaf).  I had to do the two different sets of patterned paper because I made 12 and didn't have enough of that yummy green paisley for all 12.  Maybe I should buy another pack of this paper....


And this was last week's Fall-To Layout, but this one just didn't really do anything for me when I made it up.  It feels a little too bare to me.  But let's take a look at some other cards I've made using this stamp set, shall we?


This was my brother's birthday card last year (note to self:  need to make him a birthday card this year, it's coming up fast!).  Apparently I like lining up the leaves.


A lot.  Hmm.  I think every card I've ever made with these leaves has involved lining them up.  (Second note to self:  switch it up next time!)


Also from last year, but this time with the set Day of Gratitude which is in the current Stampin' Up catalog and I lurve it.  I miss that paper too, it was scrumptious; I like this year's Spice Cake autumn paper but it is missing one thing:  RED.  Or orange, I'm not picky.  It's green, blue, aqua and brown, and really pretty, but I love my deep reds and oranges for fall stuff.


Here's a second Day of Gratitude card with other bits of that yummy paper.


Ok, so these next few are OLD, like from when I first became a demonstrator in 2006.  I still love this stamp set though, it's called Fall Whimsy.  This card was done using the white crayon resist technique; you stamp the outline on glossy white cardstock, make some marks with a white crayon for highlights, and then sponge ink colors over it.


Here's another Thanksgiving card with the same stamp set; I found the idea somewhere on Splitcoast to use the leaves and pumpkin to make a turkey.  He's kinda cute, right?  Lots of cutting though.


And one more to highlight that oh-so-cute pumpkin.  I think that Fall Whimsy might get its very own Friday Flashback post sometime.  Ahh, if only I had time to do all the ideas that pop into my head.


This stamp set, Lovely as a Tree, has been in the SU catalog for longer than I've been stamping.  Every summer when the retirement list comes out, demonstrators take bets on what will retire, and this one just never does.  Which is fine, it's an awesome stamp set.  Maybe it should get a FF post too...


Here's another oldy, this cute lil scarecrow is from Happy Fall Y'all.  This is my favorite thing I've made with him, isn't he just the cutest thing ever??  Sometimes I'm in the mood to watercolor and that's when I did this one...took quite a while to paint him up just right.


Here he is again, embossed with gold embossing powder and then watercolored.


Halloween is next Monday so this is probably my last chance to sneak in some Halloweeny goodness.  These jack o' lanterns are from Carved & Candlelit, one of the first few stamp sets I ever bought.  On this one, I stamped the face with black craft ink and embossed with Iridescent Ice embossing powder, so it was all glittery.


This one is also embossed, but emboss resist:  I stamped the birthday sentiment, then did the pumpkin on top with VersaMark and clear embossing powder, and sponged ink around it.  This went to my friend Jeng, who is a Halloween baby.  (Third note to self:  make Jeng a birthday card ASAP!!!)


The main image on this is from a jumbo wheel, and the color is done with a brayer and a spectrum pad.  SU used to have spectrum pads (where it's got four little ink pads of different colors in one container) but they retired them a while back, I kinda miss them.


I only picked one of the like 8 or so I did at one time with this stamp set.   Maybe I'll share the rest on Monday.  This is one of my favoritest Halloween sets ever, House of Haunts (the house is another stamp in the set).

Ack!  I almost forgot about Best Fiends!


You may remember Frankie from Sarah's October layout in the baby book I made for her.


And here's Drac, this was also a past birthday card for Jeng.  Sometimes his Halloween birthday cards go in costume as 4th of July birthday cards or St. Patrick's Day birthday cards : )  Anyway, I love the highlighted bats' eyes on here.  And the googly eyes in Drac's boo-quet.

That does it for me, kidlets.  Lee's gonna be home in a few minutes and then we're cooking dinner 'cause I'm hungry.  Tata!

7 comments:

Tanya said...

This was fun! :) You're right about the current autumn DP missing a red/orange, but I so love it! And last years DP was my fav to date. :)

Amber Hight said...

DANG! You are a card making beast! These are all so fun, I love them:) You're doin' great with the Friday Flashbacks!! Miss you, punkin!

Christy Lynn said...

Haha Amber, only the top three cards in this post were new...the rest are older pictures :) Not that much of a card-making beast, am I?

Giffysk8s said...

This was fun! Fall cards are my faves. The only problem is I now want more stamp sets. That seems to happen every time you post cards, huh? Oh, and scrapbook pages, too. I guess I want to be your Mini Me (the much older and bigger version, lol). Your new fall cards are so purty. I have that paper and stamp set for my TG cards. Note to self: I should get to work on those!

Sparkle said...

Such lovely cards!

CCsMom said...

I always love the ones with the sky sponged in the background behind the black trees. Reminds me of SUNSET!!! Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Christy, Your cards are absolutely FABULOUS! There's not one I didn't like :o) I bet you're awful excited about your holiday visitors :o) Can't wait to see your postings! Robin