Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Flashback: Priceless PLUS a Baby Book Update for Tiana!

I got Sarah's Halloween baby announcements done and in the mail earlier this week. Behold the awesomeness:


Well okay, *I* think they're pretty awesome, and this is my blog so I can pat myself on the back whilst tooting my own horn.  It's the same layout I used for the baby announcements when she had her son, but I used Halloween-ish colors that still work for babies.  I'm going to miss Peach Parfait when it retires next summer...may have to start hoarding : )  I'm gonna take a minute right here and tell you how much I love SU's grid paper; I always stamp on that stuff.  It was perfect for placing the horizontal strips on here in the same place on each card...not that I'm OCD or anything.  (Okay, maybe a little bit!)

The pumpkin is from a cute little retired SU set, Fall Whimsy, and the background is from Priceless, which is also sadly retired.  So today I'm going to open the vault and share my other Priceless cards.


This was a prototype I did for Sarah's announcement, I tried out a jack o' lantern and this witch's hat from Spooky Bingo Bits but I think the Fall Whimsy pumpkin turned out much cuter and more baby-like.  A lot more work since I had to paint each one with Watercolor Wonder Crayons, but worth it in the end I think.  So let's look at some more Priceless cards, shall we?


I do a lot of the color and sketch challenges posted over on Splitcoast Stampers, so a few of these layouts and stuff aren't as much "me", ya know?  But I like the challenges for pushing my creativity a bit. Without them, I'd have like four layouts I'd use over and over, although I like to think I do pretty well with branching out on the color choices.


Here's a little girl birthday card done in purples.  The color isn't so good in this picture...sometimes it's hard to tell since I keep all my stamping project pics on the laptop and it matters a lot what angle you look at the screen as to how the colors look.


This one I think went to my former boss for her birthday one year; it was another color/sketch challenge card.  For a while I had done all of the challenges on Splitcoast, but I've gotten behind by a lot (like 80) so I'm working through the older challenges here and there.  This wasn't one of my favorite sketches because it kind of feels like big square eyes to me.


And here's another kind of funky sketch.  You can tell I totally love those swirls for backgrounds : )


This might be my favorite card I've made with this set, it's the glitter window technique.  I punched out a piece of the pink cardstock (the Key Tag punch is now retired, but you could use squares or something else) and after I stamped the front of it, I put a piece of clear packing tape on the back of the pink cardstock so the sticky side faced up, and then covered it with glitter.  The glitter sticks to the packing tape and keeps it from sticking to anything else, and you can still read the sentiment stamped on the white cardstock underneath.  The sentiment is from Happy Everything, also now retired--it's still one of my favorite sentiment sets.

This time I have some scrapbook pages to share too!


My mom is saying, "No Kik, that's Bolo Point!"  But all the signs say Cape Zampa and Bolo Point is the dive spot off the coast : p  The hot pink flowers are from Priceless and I put a touch of glitter glue in the flower centers for a bit of interest.  And the pink flowers make a visual triangle on my layout because it's a good design principle.


This one is more clean & simple (CAS)...I really, really wanted to put a yellow butterfly in the upper right corner because when we were at this castle ruin, Lee spent 15 minutes chasing a yellow butterfly for me trying to get a picture of it.  We didn't get any good ones but I will forever remember him chasing that thing : )

So that's it for Priceless, how about a few recent projects?


I made a bunch of these a while back and somehow took pictures of the other cards I made the same day, but forgot this one.  I'm totally in love with Cajun Craze (the dark orangey rust color) for fall cards.


And Cajun Craze was in this week's color challenge so I got to use it again, yay!  This stamp set with the teacups is called Morning Cup and I got it by accident--it was put in a Stampin' Up! order when I didn't order it, so I called them and said I got an extra item and they told me to keep it, wasn't that awesome?

Since I've finished Sarah's baby announcements and I'm now waiting for some ribbon to work on my Christmas cards, I've reattacked Tiana's baby book and have three completed layouts to show for it.


I'd done a February layout for her before but I hated how the truck turned out and I didn't like the patterned paper so I redid it because I'm a perfectionist and that's how I roll.  I think this one turned out better.


Since we're now preparing for Thanksgiving, I had turkey on the brain : )  And I know I said on this blog sometime recently that I needed to shake it up a bit and not stamp the Falling Leaves all in a row and look what I did, they're all in a row.  Well, why mess with a good thing?


Us crafty types are already working on stuff for Christmas too so I went forward with that layout as well.  This is the first time I've played with the Stitched Stockings stamp set and the matching punch, what do you think?  Makes things quick and easy!  I'm going to use them to make gift tags for Christmas presents too, that should take me like 10 minutes to make those.  I've also done about 85% of the first birthday layout, but I'm waiting to finish it till I get something in the mail.  That means I only have 10 more pages to do, and I'm planning to get them all DONE before my parents arrive next Sunday.  Hey, I've been rockin' out the pages for a couple days here, I think I can do it!  My list of things to do is finally getting shorter, WOOT!!!

Think I'll go make those gift tags, and then I can mark that off my list.  And then maybe I'll start another layout before we make dinner...we're having muffins and scrambled eggs because I didn't go to the store yet and it's the best option with what we've got in the kitchen : ) Plus we love breakfast for dinner.  Catch you later peeps, and remember, hug a veteran today!  I did.

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Woo hoo! That rust-colored paper reminds me of PAPRIKA (spelling?). Varun has a shirt that color and it looks good on him.

Adam and Dad went to look at TRUCKS. They are hoping to buy a new one before the end of the year.

Got my glasses today. It was nice to have the afternoon off after taking Dad for his doctor's appointment. I might even take a nap while he's out truck shopping. Ha!

So, it's getting closer and I'm feeling pretty good about where we are in the process. Even got the shirt I ordered for myself. All is good. May just try to sneak in a movie (Breaking Dawn #1) before I board the plane!

Love you and see you soon! Mom

Giffysk8s said...

Hola, Miss Christy! LOVE your layouts! I especially love the colors on the November one. That turkey stamp is darling.

The baby announcements are so fun! I like that they don't look like every other baby announcement you see. So cute and unique.

I love the TG card. I always seem to get weighed down making such complicated cards. I love it when I can find one that is simple to make and yet still as pretty--or prettier--than the complicated ones. As always, thank for for being my brain. :)

BTW, LOVED your home state! Lesly and I had one of the best trips I've taken!