Saturday, November 5, 2011

There's No Minute Like the Last Minute

I probably should not be blogging when I'm tired and kind of cranky, I think this might be akin to drunk dialing or something.  I don't know for sure, I've never drunk dialed anyone...or been drunk, for that matter.  I just don't see the allure of alcohol (besides, I can use all that money to buy more stamps and craft supplies, right?).  But whatever, I haven't updated here since Monday so it's gonna just have to be now.

So yes, tired.  Been a busy week.  The first part of the week I made a couple batches of cookies to go in a care package, and I left the pumpkin doodles on the counter in the kitchen to cool while I went upstairs and chatted with Tiana on Skype for a few minutes.  I noticed that I was hearing a lot of little clickety doggy paws going back and forth downstairs so I went to check out what was going on, and lo and behold:


When I left these to cool, the bottom two racks were full and they were standing upright, not all askew.  My little Vader man, who almost never gets in trouble, was snatching cookies one or two at a time, then taking them to the Vader cave under the stairs to eat them.  He's not even allowed in the kitchen!  I'd pulled the door closed but hadn't shut it all the way when I went upstairs, and so he pushed it open and went in to grab himself a snack to the tune of probably about a dozen cookies, maybe more.  I was so mad, and Tiana was laughing at me the whole time because she heard the whole thing go down on Skype.  Well, I've heard some hairy days at her household too so we're even.  Luckily I had enough cookies for the care package, even when I didn't use any of the cookies surrounding the part Vader was stealing from just in case they got slimed or something.

The rest of the week I've been busy stamping.  Worked on Christmas cards...have to get some ribbon in the mail before I can finish them...started working on Sarah's Halloween baby announcements...and I had a baby shower to go to this morning and since I waited too long to order something off the registry, I decided to make a baby advice book, which is basically a book with blank spots for shower guests to put in their best baby advice.  Thought it would be good for a first-time mom, and my mom gave me the idea since she made one for her coworker last year.  But anyway, this is what my craft room looks like right now:


Only right now it's darker in there 'cause the lights are off, and the shoes aren't in there anymore.  It's also Guy Fawkes Night so there are fireworks going off outside, and Vader keeps barking every time he hears them pop.  But anyway, I procrastinated terribly on this whole baby advice book thing, so I didn't actually start it until 5:00 yesterday afternoon, and then I stopped around 6 or 6:30 to eat dinner and watch Captain America with Lee, and didn't really start back up again until around 10:00.  Soooooooooo yeah I went to bed around 2:00.  And then I didn't sleep hardly at all, and yet I was kind of wired when I got up this morning.  Yeah, that's worn off now : P despite two brownies (Mom and Missy are planning to stage an intervention).

So you might want to see the book, huh?  Here it is, not too shabby for a last-minute project.

The first and last pages; I thought the little onesie stamps were cute.  The mommy-to-be is doing up the baby girl's nursery in pink, green, and paisley, so that was my color scheme.  Luckily I have LOTS of Certainly Celery and Pink Pirouette patterned paper to work with.


If you click on any of the pictures, you can see it enlarged enough to read the quotes I put on there.  Mom told me I needed to put quotes on there.  I wondered if the write-on blocks were too big but Lee said just go with it and don't overthink it ('specially since I waited so long to get started).


It took me probably about an hour to Google enough baby quotes for the book, and there were some really funny ones I didn't use, like "Diaper backward spells repaid.  Think about it." --Marshall McLuhan


"It kills you to see them grow up.  But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't."  --Barbara Kingsolver


"Even when freshly washed and relieved of all obvious confections, children tend to be sticky."  --Fran Lebowitz  (WORD!!! What is it with the constant sticky??)

I accidentally used my gray marker on this one instead of the black one, but I figured I was probably the only one who would notice so I just went with it.  This is what happens when you've got markers strewn all over your work surface.


"It sometimes happens, even in the best of families, that a baby is born.  This is not necessarily cause for alarm.  The important thing is to keep your wits about you and borrow some money."  --Elinor Goulding Smith


"Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million-dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla."  --Jim Bishop...okay, so not technically baby-oriented, but still funny as all get-out.


"My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring.  I was hooked."  --Elizabeth Taylor


"I am fond of children...except boys."  --Lewis Carroll


"It would seem that something which means poverty, disorder and violence every single day should be avoided entirely, but the desire to beget children is a natural urge."  --Phyllis Diller

So there it is, 20 pages in probably 4-5 hours' work.  That was enough pages for everyone at the shower today to have their very own page to write advice for the new mommy, even saving the first page for HER mommy to write on.  So what did they do?  They wrote short little snippets all on one page like it was a high school yearbook.  I half-expected it to say "Have a nice summer" and "Stay sweet".  Feels like they missed the point, you know?  Nary a bit of advice.  So that's why I'm cranky and disinclined to do another one of these.


Enough grumpiness.  This is the card I made to go with the book that was used improperly.


The shower invitation was done via Evite, but my friend who gave the shower wanted the mommy-to-be and her mother to have keepsake invitations, so I made two of these.  Luckily I did all the card stuff earlier in the week or they so would not have gotten done.

It is now 6:20 p.m. and I figure that's probably too early to go to bed, although I really want to.  So maybe I'll go watch a movie or see if my parental units want to Skype.  Happy Guy Fawkes Day, everyone.  Hey wait, is that one of those holidays that you wish happy blah-blah day for?  Maybe.  There's fireworks and burned effigies, what's not to be happy about?

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Well fooey -- I thought they'd "get it" because ours turned out SO CUTE. In fact, the two GUYS at my shower in addition to the dad did the best ever advice -- one took TWO pages. But yours is super cute and I think if you ever do this again, you'll have more "splainin'" to do before the party begins. I handed out the scraps of paper before, told them the intention, and they really got a kick out of it. My request was that they think of something their parents did for them or something they'd done for their own kids that they'd like to share with the new parents-to-be. But yours is super cute.

Can't wait to see you. I'm in there in my craft room and finding a thing or two (duplicates) that I'll send to you. Ha! Ever the gatherer, I am.

Love you!!! Mom

Giffysk8s said...

Well, I think it's an adorable idea and the book is precious! I am a bit baffled that it was improperly utilized. Maybe she can take it to the hospital with her and ask visitors and nurses to give her some advice.

Still chuckling about Vader and the cookies. Really, can you blame him? It's impossible not to eat them!

Hope to get my own blog caught up soon.

Love your craft room!

Giffysk8s said...

Oh, I made those exact same cookies yesterday. I think I ate as many as Vader did. I make my own pumpkin cream cheese. Just a tad spread on top and they are even better!