Thursday, December 8, 2011

Taco Bean Dip

All our guests are gone now, and I'm busy trying to get the house back in order and figure out where on earth all my hand towels are hiding, but in the meantime I have a recipe to share.  I got this from a sweet lady I knew when we lived in Okinawa and it's been a big hit every time I've made it (even with people that say they don't like cream cheese or sour cream).  So here you go.

Taco Bean Dip

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
16 oz. sour cream
1 package taco seasoning (look in the packets near the spices, where you'd find gravy mix, etc.)
1 can refried beans
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning with a hand mixer until well blended.  Next, mix in the refried beans and 1/2 cup of cheese with a spoon; spread in a greased 9x13" pan.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through; remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and serve with tortilla chips when the cheese is melted.

A couple notes:  The original recipe as I got it didn't have the bit about using the hand mixer, but I discovered that I had globs of cream cheese if I mixed by hand so I started using the hand mixer.  I don't use the entire packet of taco seasoning because I'm not one much for spicy food, so I use maybe half of it...you could certainly use more or less depending on your taste.  And I don't measure the cheese, I just sprinkle a bit of it in the mix before it goes in the oven and then put whatever is left on top when it comes out of the oven.  Then again, I think cheese is one of the four basic food groups.  Chocolate is another one.  I haven't pinned down the other two yet, are you sure there are FOUR basic food groups and not two?

2 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Thanks for the recipe! I just printed it. I think my boys will devour a batch or two as soon as they get here. :)

As for the food groups: I agree on cheese and chocolate. But for me, I would also add cookies because I have never ever met a cookie I don't love.

WIll email you soon!

Thoughts by B and M said...

Taco, Taco....Burrito, Burrito....Taco, Taco

:)