Monday, January 30, 2012

Catching Up on Stamping

So this weekend it seems like all I did was sleep, read, and bake cookies.  My friend Sarah sent me a bunch of books (we have very similar taste in books, which is marvelous because both of us had never found anyone else that liked the kind of books we do, so for the last year we've been mailing books back and forth and trading recommendations) and so I dove into a new series this weekend in between making batches of cookies.  Tried some new cookie recipes too--chocolate peanut butter chip (the recipe on the bag of Reese's peanut butter chips...I don't like peanut butter much but Lee does), chocolate cherry (they have M&Ms and maraschino cherries in them) and my favorite, butterscotch apple.  YUM.  They even have frosting.

But before this weekend I did actually get some stamping done, so that's what I'm sharing today.


Needed another name frame...I don't really like how this one turned out though, it seems too plain so I might redo it.  It was supposed to be given to Kinley's mom last week but then I left it in the car by accident so I still have it.  Which means I can redo it.


I pulled heart stamps from three different stamp sets for this kind of CAS card (clean & simple if you're unfamiliar with the lingo).  The largest heart is stamped on a separate piece of paper, cut out, and popped up.


At one point I had done all of the color and sketch challenges over on Splitcoast, and now I'm like way far behind so I'm trying to go back and do the older challenges I missed.  That's all well and good, but sometimes I feel like doing that is kind of hampering me a bit...like I'm trying too hard to make my stuff fit in the challenges and then I don't like it as well.  Like this card.


This one, however, represents a recent color challenge and a sketch from Clean & Simple Stamping and I do like how it turned out.  I think maybe my style is just leaning more towards CAS.


Lee's grandmother recently had surgery so I made her a get-well card.  I pulled out a real oldie, Roses in Winter, and then paired it with a new stamp set for the sentiment, Perfectly Penned.  I love that font : )


Here's another one that I just didn't like as well because of the sketch.  I tried to make it work but it just doesn't appeal to me.  Sorry Tiana, I sent you a birthday card I don't like much!


This one is a birthday card for Lee's dad, and again I think the sketch is just too fiddly for my taste.  The whole time I was putting it together I was like HOW many pieces are on this thing?!


Here's a simpler one...hey, Paris and the Eiffel Tower are kind of Valentine-y, right?  The only thing I'd change about this card is that I think the sentiment should be in a heavier font, it gets lost a bit on the collage since it's such thin lines.


This card was a bit of a surprise.  It's an old, old sketch challenge that I'd always avoided because I didn't like it, and then I used it here and surprised myself with how much I liked the results.  So hey, at least I try.


Another sketch that is just too much, I kind of feel like the line of flowers on the bottom was barfed on there.  I'm not really feeling those colors together much either...I want to like them but this card is just NOT where it's at.


The inside is ok though.  Heh.

I've also done a bit of scrapbooking here and there, yay!  I kind of wish I could wave a magic wand and be caught up with my scrapbooks but until I invent that magic wand, I'll just have to slog through the slow way.  That said, I don't want to do digital scrapbooking...I like the process with real paper and photos.  And I think I already spend too much time on the computer, I like to get away from it.


I had this layout all done like six months ago except for the journaling.  And now it's all done!  Sorry for the picture quality on these, I have a hard time getting a halfway decent shot of scrapbook layouts with our big camera and Lee absconded with the little one.  (I should get extra cosmic points for using the word "absconded" on my blog.  I'm just sayin'.)  Anyway, you might remember Pizza in the Sky as the restaurant high up in the hills on Okinawa.


 A layout dedicated to two other Okinawa restaurants, Jack's Place and Sam's by the Sea.  These layouts all go into the book from when my parents came out to visit us.  We ate a LOT.


And here's the last one I have done (there's another one that's halfway done on my desk but it'll just have to wait until next time).  It kind of cracks me up that I put the kanji for tranquility on the layout, and then my journaling is all about how Lee and I call the place Cape Zampa and my parents call it Bolo Point so we argue about that, and then Mom and I went up in the lighthouse and dropped gummy bears on Dad's head.  Real tranquil.  I'm starting to wonder though if I'm using too many flowers on that scrapbook.  They seem to be my go-to embellishment for every page.  Hmm...

All supplies for each card/layout will be listed on my SCS gallery if you're curious.  For now, I'm going to go downstairs and watch NCIS:  LA and Hawaii Five-O that I recorded last night.  Cheers!

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

Oh, I LOVE the font on the Kinley name frame. HOW TOTALLY CUTE!!! I'll have to enlarge the pictures to check out the scrapbooking. LOOKS AWESOME!