Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

I found the other recipe...I forgot that I stuck it in my Nestle cookbook to mark the page with pumpkin blueberry streusel muffins and orange brunch muffins...those both sounded pretty good for a future experiment ; )

I got this recipe from a blog or something somewhere on the Internet, but I didn't write down the source.  These are really good (I'm beginning to think it would be kind of difficult to come up with a BAD pumpkin muffin recipe...) but, of course, they are much more labor-intensive than the cheater muffins.  I also had to get a few ingredients specifically for these, like the wheat flour.

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup agave or honey
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 medium apple, peeled and grated (I used more like 1 1/2 Granny Smith apples because mine were small)

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine dry ingredients (everything down to the pumpkin pie spice) in a bowl and mix together.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.  Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.

Grease muffin tin or line with paper cups, and fill each 3/4 full.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Makes 12 muffins.

A lot of recipes (like my favorite pumpkin cookies) call for 1 cup of canned pumpkin, and a 15-ounce can is like 1 2/3 cups or so, and I hate to toss out that extra pumpkin.  A recipe like this one that uses 1/2 cup of pumpkin means you only toss a few tablespoons out, which is nice : )  The Godzilla can is 29 ounces, and with just one of those cans I was able to make all three batches of pumpkin muffins.

Enjoy!  And hey, this has to be somewhat healthy, right?  This recipe has NO sugar (ignore the honey part) *and* it's got a vegetable (pumpkin counts as a veggie!) *plus* a fruit.  Totally healthy!  Or so I tell myself.

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Hi, Kik! Hope you were doing well today. We didn't do much of anything. I feel like a slob.

It's back to work tomorrow. Oh joy. Have a great week!

Thoughts by B and M said...

Hum...might have to try these someday soon!