Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pucker Up!

Today seems  like an appropriate time to post pictures from Blarney Castle, so here we go.



The current structure dates from the 1400s, so positively ancient by American standards--practically prehistoric--but by European standards it's merely middle-aged.


And there I am with Lee.  I'm sure it's Lee this time.  In case you missed it, I mislabeled a picture in my last post, saying it was my sweetie pie when it was, in fact, Bennet.  Not that I don't like him and all, but he's not MY sweetie pie.


Just having some fun with photo angles since Lee always picks on me for crooked pictures.


The castle is partially ruined, but that just makes it fun to photograph.



It rained off and on the day we were there, but we lucked out that we had some pretty blue skies during our time at Blarney Castle.  We were on an all-day tour that took us to a couple of other places as well; our one regret is that we didn't have a little more time at Blarney Castle.  Our tour guide was excellent; if you ever want to go to Ireland and want a recommendation for a tour let me know.


Classic Bennet.  And I posted this just 'cause I know from the last post that he reads this sometimes.

So anyway, we decided to waste no time in climbing to the top of the castle to kiss the Blarney Stone.  It's up at the top of the castle, so you're about 60 feet above ground level, and there's a big hole right under it so there's NO WAY my mom could have done this.


You lay on your back on a mat, then scooch backwards, grab the two metal poles, and basically do a backbend over a big hole and then pucker up to the stone.  Mad props to Missy for going first despite her discomfort with heights.


They also have a camera set up that takes your picture while you kiss the stone; we all looked at our photos but didn't buy any of them (expensive and really, not a flattering picture...)


Cracked us up after the fact; Lee had been so insistent that he kiss the stone before Bennet to avoid any kind of contamination (remember, Lee caught Bennet's cold in China after accidentally sharing a Coke at a McDonald's) and then what happened?  Lee went last.


He loudly proclaims that he kissed a different part of the stone than Bennet.  And I know what you're thinking, and yes they do disinfect the stone (which makes me wonder what effect that has on the stone itself) but they don't do it between every person.  So they disinfected it before Missy, but not again until after Lee when the next big group came up.


And then we all did kissy face for the camera : )


I had the little camera and took this picture of Missy and Bennet; just thought it was a fun angle from the other one.


Kissy kissy kissy!  And now you see why I post this on Valentine's Day.


So the castle isn't extraordinarily tall, but it does afford some lovely views of the surrounding countryside.


I like this picture of the castle grounds.  Very proud that I took it : )


This is the middle of the castle (duh); you walk around the outside part of it to get to the Blarney Stone and the middle part used to be a Great Hall but it caved in.  I forget if the roof fell or the floor fell first, but that seems to be a common theme with old castles like this...Castle Rising was the same way.


View across the courtyard; the group is clustered around where the Blarney Stone is located.


Just 'cause I thought this was a really good picture of Lee and Bennet.  And I know for a fact that Lee's the one on the left.




I somehow missed seeing this fun bench on the way into the castle but I snapped this on the way out.

So what do you think, do you think I've got the gift of gab now that I've kissed the Blarney Stone?

4 comments:

Thoughts by B and M said...

Man, we miss you guys! Every time I see fun photos of our trip (and this part was probably a favorite) it makes me wish you were here and we could just hop in the car and go somewhere for this three-day weekend! :) Oh well! And yes, your gabbing skills have gotten stronger!

CCsMom said...

Well, shoot -- it deleted my last comment. LOVE the pucker-up pictures. And the scenery shots are gorgeous!

It is getting more difficult to leave a comment because I can't READ these stupid words they make you type to prove "you're not a robot". What the heck?

Liz Guidry said...

Yay for Ireland photos. I wonder how many people kissed the same place you guys did (blech!)

Lynn said...

Hi Christy, I read your blog because my daughter recommended it. I am Missy's mom. She told me a couple of years ago that I would like the stampin' up items that you make. She was right. You do beautiful work. I also use your blog to link to the blogs you recommend.