Monday, February 6, 2012

This may come as a surprise, but I *LOVE* movies.

So I could be posting more pictures from Scotland...heh, I haven't even gotten to any of the Ireland photos yet.  Or I could post some more snow pictures...the snow is still here even, though since we haven't gotten any fresh snow it's all churned up and some of it's slushy and dirty and some of it's snowmen.  I digress.  Anyway, I have several topics I could post about but as I was trying to get to sleep last night I started thinking about the movies that I could happily watch once, and then just as happily watch a second or even third time in a row...or maybe watch nonstop for an unspecified very long time and still love them afterwards (not just because I'm too lazy to switch out DVDs...well, mostly not because of that).  So that's what I'm going to talk about today, so grab your popcorn.

These are in no particular order, but let's start with Stardust since I've watched it twice in the last two days and still want to watch it again.


Who's in it:  Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert DeNiro, Sienna Miller

Why I love this movie:  It makes me smile and laugh out loud every time I watch it.  Every. Single. Time.  What's not to love?  There's a fallen star, murderous princes, evil witches, pirates, and a heaping helping of pure magic.  It's made of awesome.  The book is good, but this is the rare case where I like the movie better.  And Charlie Cox is such a cutie pie as Tristan Thorne:


Not that I have a crush on him or anything, you just totally root for him through the whole film.  He travels into the mystical realm of Stormhold to find a fallen star, who is in fact a woman named Yvaine (Claire Danes) to bring back to the girl he thinks he loves, Victoria (Sienna Miller).  I know a lot of people don't remember this movie but you should run out right now and buy it (better yet, just click the link above, and it takes you to Amazon.  I'm so nice like that).  And buy the score too, it is full of fantastic music and I must admit I've listened to it at least five times this weekend.  I may be a bit of an audiophile in addition to a cinephile.  And I think I might watch this movie again tonight.  Maybe I'll just watch it every night this week...

Favorite line (or at least, one of my favorites):  "Murdered by pirates, heart torn out and eaten, meet Victoria...I can't quite decide which sounds more fun."

The Empire Strikes Back


Whoa, I linked to a DVD of both the original theatrical release and the "special edition" of this movie and they're wanting almost $60 for it on Amazon.  So glad I bought it when it was like $10 at Target.  Anyway, no favorite movie list of mine would be complete without something related to Star Wars, and this is my favorite movie of all the Star Wars movies.  Pretty sure I don't need to tell you who's in it or what the plot is, so for why I love this movie:  it's got all the best lines between Han Solo and Princess Leia as they start to fall in love, it's got Yoda and Lando Calrissian, and it's got Imperial walkers.  When we were kids, Adam and I used to watch the Hoth battle and where the one AT-AT gets grenaded by Luke and falls over on its side, we'd watch that bit backwards and forwards and laugh hysterically.  Unfortunately that doesn't work on DVD like it did on VHS, more's the pity.


Favorite line:  There are just so many to choose from!  But here's the one that goes with the above picture...

"Why, you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking...nerf herder!"
"Who's scruffy-lookin'?"

This is also my favorite of the Star Wars scores, no surprise there.  I wanted to walk down the aisle at my wedding to the Imperial March, you know which one I'm talking about, Darth Vader's theme...Mom wouldn't let me.  (No Mom, I am never gonna let that one go!)  Instead, I walked down the aisle to a piece from the score of the next movie...

The Princess Bride


One of my family's most oft-quoted movies, it's chock full of quotey goodness.

"Inconceivable!" "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

"Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

"True love is the greatest thing in the world.  Except for a nice MLT, mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomatoes ripe...they're so perky.  I love that."

"Have fun storming the castle!" (My family says this pretty much every time someone leaves...like when Lee & I got on the plane to go to Japan and later when we left for England.  Coincidentally, we've been to castles in Japan and England...)

 "As you wish."

Well, I could do this all day, but let's talk about the movie.


People bash Buttercup because they say she's a passive character, but I was thinking about it last night and she does actively try to help herself:  she throws herself off the boat and tries to swim to shore until the shrieking eels try to get her; she pushes the Man in Black down a steep hill to get away from him (before she realizes who he is); she tries to save Westley by surrendering to Prince Humperdinck, even if he was dastardly and dishonest.  To be fair though she does spend some time just standing around screaming, like during the ROUS attack.  I don't care, I love the movie anyway, and I watched it twice in a row on my birthday this year.  And then I thought I should learn to sew so I could make myself replicas of her beautiful princess dresses, but I don't have time for another hobby.

I got the score to this movie when I was in high school as a gift from my friend Tammy, and I still listen to it quite often, and like I said before we used part of it in my wedding.  I have a thing for movie scores, I really do.  Anyway, every track on this score is awesome, but I'll give a shout out to "Guide My Sword" which is just gorgeously lyrical and beautiful and I think I might play this on my computer right now.  The book is fantastic as well; this is one instance where the book and movie are equally magical.

The Incredibles


Our DVD of this movie has three audio tracks, the regular movie and two different feature-length commentaries, and I have been known to watch/listen to all three in a single weekend.  I don't know what it is about this movie that makes me want to watch it over and over, but I do.  I think my favorite part is when they're trying to get to the city center to stop a giant robot and Mr. Incredible and Elasti-Girl argue about directions on how to get there.


And of course there's Edna Mode, who makes me laugh out loud every time I watch this movie.  The score is also great (do you see a pattern here?), lots of big-band style brass and jazz.  Fantastic.  Michael Giacchino also wrote the score to Star Trek, which is among the most-played scores on my iPod...I have an entire playlist for movie scores, and separate playlists for Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Superman/Supergirl scores.  Told you I had a thing for movie scores.

Sky High


Who's in it:  Kurt Russell, Kelly Preston, Michael Angarano, Danielle Panabaker

Why I love this movie:  I like comic book-style movies anyway, and this one is just so cute.  Lee loves it too; anytime we can't decide on a movie to watch, this is our default, so we probably watch it several times a year at least.  It's got all the fun superhero powers coupled with high school angst.  They didn't release a score, but I do like (and own) the soundtrack, which is mostly covers of '80s songs.  Don't let that deter you though, they are fun and very well-done, not cringeworthy.

I love the cast in this; all the high schoolers kind of remind me of people I went to high school with, you know?  Lee and I always wished they'd do a sequel to this but maybe it's better if they just leave it as-is; sequels can be hit or miss especially with Disney movies.  Unless it's Toy Story, in which case it's always a hit.


Favorite line:  "That is so unfair!"  "Yeah, well, if life were to suddenly get fair, I doubt it would happen in high school."

Ghostbusters (both of them)


I have spent entire weekends just alternating back and forth between the Ghostbusters movies.  I still can't decide which one I love more; I remember these movies scaring me a little bit when I was a kid but I still watched them...I just ran and hid when the scary librarian ghost terrified the Ghostbusters at the beginning of the movie : )  I also own the soundtracks to both movies, though I found the one for Ghostbusters II at a used book store in Texas for about two dollars.  The soundtrack for the original movie has three instrumental pieces on it; I love Dana's Theme and the main title theme by Elmer Bernstein.  And of course the Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters song can't be beat.


Aww, Mr. Stay-Puft looks so happy.  This is also one of my most-quoted movies, and I could spend hours writing all my favorite quotes, but I'll just stick with one:  "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA!"

The Fifth Element, a.k.a.  "That weird movie with Bruce Willis and what's-her-name" (as my mom calls it)


You already know how I love sci-fi, and this one is just a silly good time.  You have flying cars, a girl who doesn't speak English, crazy costumes, weird hair, the coolest opera ever, funky aliens, and a deadly menace who wants to wipe out all life on Earth.  All that, plus Chris Tucker wearing lipstick and screaming like a girl.  It's awesome.


This movie isn't quite so quotable as the others on this list, but I admit, whenever I have to show an ID, I always think "Leeloo Dallas Multipass!  Muuullltiipaass!"  (That, or I want to use the Jedi mind trick and say "You don't need to see my identification.")


Mom told me recently that Sadie's ears reminded her of the Mangalores from this movie (only she didn't know they were called Mangalores).  I think if I were Sadie, I'd be a bit huffy at that comparison; Mangalores are described as "warriors, with big teeth, big foreheads, they're ugly, and they STANK!"  Yeah, I'd definitely be unhappy with that comparison if I were her.  I also own the score to this movie, which is kind of more unusual and techno but it's funky and interesting.

Anyway, that's all I have for today.  I'm gonna go put on some warm clothes and take my little doglets out in the snow again so they can go for their daily walk... Sadie loves the snow, Vader not so much, but they get all antsy if they don't go for a walk too many days in a row and who knows when it'll melt?

2 comments:

Amber Hight said...

I love every single one of these movies! Dang I miss you, my fellow 80's movie fanatic!! I totally love Stardust, I need to find and unpack that movie and watch it again, soooo good!

Watch Free Movies Online said...

I also love this movies thanks for sharing some nice suggestion