Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cherry M&M Cookies

I do not like this new Blogger thing.  It's being even more annoying than usual about uploading photos sideways, it takes me forever to find the button do do a new post, and I just DON'T LIKE IT.  Grrr.

But anyway, this week I've been working on compiling a cookbook which is going to be a huge project for the next several months, so I have recipes on the brain, which means I have a cookie recipe to share today.  I'm a little ADD, so I get bored making the same kinds of cookies over and over, and this was a new recipe I tried out a couple months ago.  Somewhat to my surprise, they got rave reviews from Lee's coworkers, more than any of the other cookies (I'd sent some butterscotch apple cookies at the same time, which were my faves, but the guys were all about these cookies).  So okay then, this recipe will go in the permanent file.

Cherry M&M Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups M&Ms mini baking bits
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup well-drained chopped maraschino cherries


This is me well-draining the cherries (isn't that tiny strainer cute?); I don't really see the point in it too much since hello, you're putting a tablespoon of the juice in the cookies anyway.  And I just cut each cherry in half, I didn't chop them into tiny bits.  One bottle of maraschino cherries ended up being more or less the amount I needed (what? so I ate a few).  And the store here doesn't sell M&Ms mini baking bits, so I used regular M&Ms...well, the first time I used cherry-flavored M&Ms that they had out for Valentine's Day, which were conveniently all red and pink, maybe that was why the cookies were such a hit.  Anyway, on to the directions.

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in sour cream, egg, cherry juice and vanilla.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture.  Stir in M&Ms, walnuts and cherries.  Drop by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake about 15 minutes; cool 1 minute on cookie sheets and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  Store in tightly covered container.


I wonder if the baking bits M&Ms have a different kind of candy coating where it wouldn't run colors all over the cookies, but I kinda liked the rainbow effect anyway.  This recipe won't take an entire bag of regular M&Ms, so you can save the rest to like put on ice cream for sundaes or something.  And you'll be left with quite a bit of cherry juice, so you can make your own cherry vanilla Cokes if, like me, you don't live within a thousand miles of a Sonic.

2 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

YUM! these sound sooooooo good. I think it's my duty to make these with Emma. I can't let her grow up without trying these. :)

This cookbook sounds awesome! I want to get one. Would you be able to send me one if pay for the shipping?

Christy Lynn said...

Oh sure Miss Vicki, I'll let you know when we have them published and I'll get you a copy. It'll be a while till that happens, like late summer maybe? My goal is 400 recipes and so far I'm at 60, so I've got some work to do :)