Monday, March 19, 2012

If you give a mouse a cookie...

Ok so really, WHAT THE HECK did Blogger do?  Everything looks new and strange and I wonder if I can still figure this whole bloggy thing out.  I dislike change.  Which is funny, 'cause that was pretty much what I wanted to talk about today even before Blogger went all weird and futuristic.

So, like my high school French teacher, I'm a bit of a technophobe.  It took Lee quite a while to convince me to give up my 35mm camera in favor of a digital one, though I liked it fine once we finally made the switch and I grumbled about it a while.  Then he got me an iPod and it took me a while to warm up to that, though now I can't imagine life without it (I must have a soundtrack for everything I do.  Really).  I still buy CDs sometimes...I like to check prices between iTunes and actual CDs on Amazon and it's kind of 50/50 which one's cheaper for a given album.  Then again, iTunes = instant gratification = LOVE and I didn't realize how many movie scores* I bought while Lee was gone but I wonder that he didn't tell me to knock it off since he gets the emails every time I buy something on iTunes.  Either he's really, really nice to me or those emails go in his junk email folder and he doesn't see them.  Oh darn, now he's gonna read this and like, change the iTunes password or something.  I should quit giving him ideas.  So anyway, now I love my iPod, and Lee's happy not to drag around several gigundor binders full of CDs every time we go on a road trip.

Onwards and upwards.  This year for my birthday, Lee bought me a Kindle, which is funny because he told me he knew I didn't really want one but he got it anyway.  And I let it sit for a couple of weeks until one of my friends on Facebook mentioned that she'd just finished reading Robert K. Massie's biography of Catherine the Great, so I thought oh why not and downloaded it on the Kindle.  This 650-page book downloaded in under a minute.  DUDE.  Instant gratification = LOVE.  I was pretty impressed.  So I've been slowly working my way through that for the last several weeks, but I got slowed down when Patricia Briggs released a new book and I couldn't resist getting that on the Kindle too.  Then Lee told me he had some money attached to his Amazon account from a gift card (what the heck he has a different Amazon account than me?  How come I didn't know this before now?) so he said I should register the Kindle to his account and spend the gift card.

At this point, I wonder if Lee realizes that he's totally given a mouse (me) a cookie (instant gratification of BOOKS).  He's in serious trouble and it's all his fault, because I have, like, no self-control.  I've always been a dangerous person in a bookstore (even more so in a used book store, hellooooooo cheap books!).  And instant gratification = total impulse buy.  Since he told me to go bananas, I've bought another Massie biography (Nicholas and Alexandra) and the Castle tv show tie-in Heat Wave (what, I was watching Castle last night and it sounded like a good idea at the time).  I know that Lee *does* see emails from Amazon when I buy a new book because he was asking me why on earth I would want to read more Russian history.  Truth is, I'm a total history nerd and I've been interested in Russia since I was about 14 and Mom took me to this big museum exhibit that came to Dallas and was all stuff belonging to Catherine the Great (hence my first Kindle purchase).  Honestly I don't remember a whole heck of a lot about the exhibit beyond this jewel-encrusted carriage that was just mind-boggling, it was like it was rolled in diamonds and sprayed with gold.  Girlfriend knew how to arrive in style.  But anyway, that exhibit kindled (haha, punny!) an enduring interest in Russian history; I even took a class in Slavic and Eastern European studies in college FOR FUN.  I may be slightly crazy in the brain pan.

Back to the book choices.  I'm over halfway through Catherine's biography, despite stopping for Patricia Briggs...my problem with her is that every time a new book comes out and I read it, I immediately want to go back and re-read all the previous installments in the series.  So, I did go back and read two other Alpha & Omega books (her werewolves are WAY cooler than the ones in Twilight, and she's got a vampire who owns a VW bus painted like the Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo.  LOVE.) and I'm currently trying to resist reading the entire Mercy Thompson series again.  I have other things to do than re-read books...like an entire list of things to do.  And a big stack of books from my friend Sarah that I need to read and send back to her.  But Patricia Briggs' books are like printed crack.  Anyway, I'm liking the Kindle, except for it makes it so much harder to read the last couple pages of the book before reading the rest, which I know is a despicable habit but I've been doing that since I started reading Nancy Drew books many moons ago.

Well, for now I shall resist the siren call of good books, and soldier on with my list of things to do.  I think I'm due for a visit to my craft room and quite possibly a handful of Cadbury Mini Eggs...yummmm.  Peace out, peeps.




*You want to know, don't you?  It was EIGHT full albums (Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 {the only track that has really popped out at me so far is Xenophilius Lovegood's theme, but I like them}, Sherlock Holmes {awesome}, Prince of Persia {similar to Mummy Returns, which I got for like two bucks at a used book store}, Captain America {my new personal favorite}, Superman Returns {surprisingly good}, Buffy the Vampire Slayer {surprisingly meh}, and Memoirs of a Geisha {John Williams is the man}) plus overtures from quite a few more (G.I. Joe, Mary Poppins, Beetlejuice, Pink Panther, Edward Scissorhands, Back to the Future, James Bond, Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz {I already owned the scores, but iTunes had several tracks that my old CDs did not}, When Harry Met Sally, Gone with the Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves).  Yes, I have a thing for movie scores.  LOVE THEM.

3 comments:

Toby E. said...

Almost a year and a half ago I was given my Nook. I was battling over which I liked, Nook or Kindle. Well Larry had a buddy selling an abandoned Nook from and ex-girl friend. Had a blank spot in the screen that was a pain, but super cheap and great way for me to find out. Well yes it was like giving me a cookie too. He has since bought me a new one and I love it! They also have tons of free books so my Nook has almost 300 books now. :D And of course I am still buying from HPB. I love how I can enlarge the print making it easy to read while on the tread mill(which I had amazingly only recently thought of) and my work outs are soooooo much more fun now. And Larry just found out I have his card linked to mine too since you need it even for free books. If mine is tied up in all the bills I use his hehe.
Enjoy your cookie!!!!

Amber Hight said...

I'm so glad you like your Kindle! I LOVE MINE! I'm so with you on the instant gratification too, it's way too easy with that "1 click buy" option, oopsie! LOL! You can find tons of books for free or cheap like .99 too:) Have you registered on Goodreads yet? I can't remember if you're on there or not. If not, seriously...GO NOW!!:) I haven't read any Patricia Briggs yet, I'm going to have to jump on that!

Giffysk8s said...

I love this post~it's so you and it makes me giggle and wish I could really, really, really meet you IRL.

So glad you are enjoying your Kindle!

Ok, I am going to write you and email right now so that I don't hog up your blog. :)