Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Quarry, Part 3

It's the first of the month, which means it's time for a cross stitching update.  February's pattern was Scarlet Quince's The Quarry:


And here's what I've gotten done so far (as always, click to embiggen):


Dang, even my cross stitch photos are crooked!  I need a V-8.  You can see earlier progress photos if you click here.  I did 7,955 stitches this month, and even though that's a lot less than I did in January on Miranda, I'm pleased with my progress.  Compared to Miranda, this pattern has a lot more confetti stitching, which always takes longer, so my goal was to finish up one entire page, which I did, and there are a lot of commas in this sentence.  My strategy was to pick out what symbol I wanted to work on, then take a colored pencil and highlight every occurrence of that symbol on the whole page.  Then I'd go back in and fully color in the symbols as I worked them so I knew for sure what I'd already done.  That helped a lot to keep me from missing bits of color, though I'd be lying if I said I never had to go back and fill in a missed stitch or two.  I did some on the surrounding pages too, because you'll get ridges on your fabric if you stop on straight lines like at page edges. That's why there's some uneven bits done to the right and below the main part I worked on.


And that gives you an idea how much more I have to go : )  I'm a little more than 15% done, with 20,121 stitches completed.  The only pattern on which I have less than 20,000 stitches done is The Accolade, which is (of course) the biggest one I have in the rotation right now.


And there's the needle board, you can see I did much more with darker colors this time and the needle board kind of echoes the pattern itself with the lighter colors on top.  I'm doing one page at a time working vertically because this pattern is wider than it is tall, and I wanted to work on the bluebonnets without doing over half the pattern first.  So next time, I'm going to try to do the next page down and the partial one that makes up the lowest left corner; hopefully it'll go a little faster than this month's page because it looks like it's got some wider bands of color and a bit less confetti.  And I'll be working with some more electric blues, which will be fun.

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Forgot to comment on this as I read it at work where I can read but not comment. Wow, this is really going to be something when it is finished. AWESOME. (That seems to be my favorite word for anything that is extraordinary, wonderful, exciting, etc., etc. But it is definitely AWESOME!)

So glad Lee is back safe and sound. Love you!

CCsMom said...

Hey, I commented on here and it DID NOT TAKE. What's wrong with that?

Anyway, I was saying that this is going to be an awesome picture when it's finished. I don't think I'll ever do one of these . . . it's just TOO MUCH WORK. But they turn out beautifully.

Love you -- SO GLAD LEE IS HOME! I imagine the cross stitching will be less and less now.

Giffysk8s said...

LOVE it! THose colors are sooooooo pretty. I can't wait to see the bluebonnets.