Monday, March 26, 2012

Strawberry Pie!

I know, I know, two recipes back to back!  I've got recipes on the brain thanks to this cookbook project.

So the last time I was at my parents' house for a few months and I cleaned out their kitchen (what?  I was bored), I found several recipes, including one for strawberry pie that Mom says she thinks was my grandmother's recipe.  She remembered something about going to pick strawberries at a farm when she was a kid and they got the recipe from the farm, and went home and made this pie.  I think.  So then I read the recipe:


5 cups whole strawberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Crush 2 cups berries in saucepan.  Stir sugar, salt, and cornstarch in saucepan with crushed berries.  Bring to boil, remove immediately.  Stir in lemon juice and cool.


Whaaaaaaaaaaa?  That's like HALF a pie recipe.  The funny part was, I found TWO copies of this recipe and they both stopped at the same place, what's up with that?  I gave Mom the third degree (What do you remember about this pie?!  It's important!) and she said she thought it was a double-crust pie and she was sure it was baked.  So okay.  To that half a recipe, I added the following:  Put remaining 3 cups strawberries on bottom pie crust; top with cooked berry mixture.  Put the pie crust on top and bake for an unspecified amount of time at an unspecified temperature and hope you don't get food poisoning.

Then I looked up other strawberry pie recipes on Taste of Home (I love Taste of Home) and copied a few that looked similar so that I could guess as to what the rest of the directions should be.  Then the recipes sat for like a year and a half, until this weekend when I saw strawberries for cheap at the store, which immediately made me think PIE.  So I made it!


It looks like a crime scene, but this is when I'd squished 2 cups of strawberries sliced with a fork (easier to squish once they're sliced).  It was kind of fun in a pseudo-destructive way.


Yummy, yummy strawberries.  I know the recipe says whole strawberries, but I cut them in half because I figured they'd lay better that way.  And I had one giant mutant strawberry that got cut into quarters.


Yummy, yummy strawberries with crime scene strawberries on top.  Excuse me, I gotta go grab some leftover pie...


I can make a pie, but I can't make it pretty!  This picture is just so you can laugh at my pathetic attempt to flute the edges.  It's sad, really.  I need The Piemaker to come help me out.


Hey, it actually looked better once it was baked...'cept for that part where it barfed out crime scene strawberries all over the oven.  Hmm.  Then we cut into it...


And it's ALLLL crime scene-ariffic!  It was like strawberry pie SOUP.  But still yummy.  So help me out here, expert pie bakers, what can I do to make this less soupariffic?  More cornstarch?  Inquiring minds wanna know.  Even if it looks funky, Lee and I are happily eating it.  'Cause it's yummy.  And he'd eat anything involving strawberries I think.  We also shared with our neighbors, who came over for dinner on Saturday night.  But anyway, here's how I ended up making it:

5 cups whole strawberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 pie crusts

Crush 2 cups berries in saucepan with fork.  Stir sugar, salt, and cornstarch in saucepan with crushed berries.  Bring to boil; remove immediately.  Stir in lemon juice and cool (except I somehow added the lemon juice with the rest of the stuff before cooking.  Oops.).  Put remaining 3 cups strawberries in pie crust; pour crushed strawberry mixture over the top.  Top with second pie crust and seal & flute the edges (or try hard to do that, anyway).  Cut slits in the top for steam to escape.  Bake at 425 for 35 to 45 minutes.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and/or Cool Whip.

1 comment:

Amber Hight said...

LMAO! It totally looks like a crime scene now that you mention it, and now I can't say it looks very tasty, lol!!!!!1 I'm sure it's awesome though, you are quite the Betty Crocker!!