Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bruges, Part 2

I know you're here for the Bruges pictures, but I'm going to pretend for a moment that you care when I do movie reviews 'cause Lee and I did a double feature on Saturday and I want to talk about the movies : )

First up, we saw Mirror Mirror, the Snow White movie with Julia Roberts and Lily Collins.  The movie was okay but nothing spectacular; the best bits to my mind were the evil queen's wackadoodle costumes and the music (by Disney composer Alan Menken, who brought us such gems as The Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast).  The Bollywood-esque "I Believe" song at the end was okay too, though I could see it getting annoying if played ad nauseum (oooh, LATIN!).  I wanted to like this movie better, but I just couldn't.  Lily Collins just didn't quite seem to fit in the whole Snow White role, and her eyebrows were so distracting they practically deserve their own line in the credits.  I'm not holding out much hope for the rival Snow White project because I don't think Kristen Stewart can act her way out of a paper bag.  Chris Hemsworth is fun to look at though...oh wait, Lee reads this blog.  I didn't say anything about Chris Hemsworth, Lee.  But back to Mirror Mirror...I doubt we'll buy it on DVD, though if I happen to find the soundtrack at a used book store for like $2 somewhere down the line, I'd probably get it.  I have a well-established thing for movie scores.

Next up we saw The Hunger Games.  I talked Lee into reading the book the weekend we were in Bruges, so it's much fresher in his mind than in mine (I read the book too but it was like two years ago and I haven't re-read it yet).  The one thing I hated about the movie was all the shaky "documentary"-style camera work.  What the heck is wrong with a good steady-cam?!  Seriously, I felt a little nauseated for a while watching this movie, and that was before all the gory bits happened.  Other than that though, it was excellent.  I thought it was extremely well-cast; I can't think of anyone that I thought was not a good fit for their role.  Of course some things are different from the book, but Suzanne Collins co-wrote the screenplay and is credited as a co-producer, so it seemed like she was very involved.  I wish they hadn't changed how Katniss got the Mockingjay pin though, it kind of doesn't make sense.  She gives it to her little sister as a good-luck charm, who then gets picked as a tribute, and then her sister gives it back to her as a good-luck charm during the games.  Umm, hello, how much good luck could it be?!  But anyway, we did like the movie other than the nausea-inducing camera work.  Argh.

Ok, so let's get down to some more Bruges pictures (and I bet some of you just skipped all the blah-de-blah and looked for the pictures, but that's okay).


Just thought this was kind of cool looking down one of the cobblestone streets; I like the stair-step effect on that building.


There was a restaurant near this pegasus statue that looked pretty good but somehow we didn't get back over in this area at all; I kinda wanted more pics of the statue but what can you do.


And here's the canals; this is near where the horse carriages leave from and I don't know why I don't have more horse pictures.


We thought this gate looked kind of cool so we went through it and found...


...a big field of daffodils.  This is a beguinage, which according to Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) housed a religious order of women that was less strict than a lot of the convents and abbeys of the time.


Back out the gate and into the area a few pictures back, and I found another stair-step roof.  I took like six pictures of this just because I thought it was cool.  And I think this one leans to the left, dangit.


Lee took this one.  We both love the looks of weeping willows, but I've heard that they've got invasive root systems so you don't want them planted too near your house or you'll get your plumbing all messed up.  I didn't read that on Wikipedia though so who knows if it's true.


Hey, who's that person?  : )


This was off the little camera; Lee and I thought these trees look kind of like menorahs, which amused us.


Hey look, a Slytherin park bench.  You gotta watch out, those Slytherins are everywhere.


Sorry this is a truly sucky picture through a shop window, but you can just kinda see that it's the Moai statues from Easter Island.  Which is punny since we were there for Easter weekend.  Another store had giant chocolate chickens from the movie Chicken Run, and we saw several Easter bunnies that were at least two feet tall.


My mom collects hippos, and I found this awesome teapot but didn't get it because it was like $100 (only in Euro, but still, expensive).  This shop had all kinds of teapots and teacups and mugs and stuff, which were really cool to look at but it made us nervous that we were going to break something trying to navigate the narrow aisles so we left pretty quickly.


We did walk around the town a little bit the first night we were there and Lee took these photos; the one above is on our big camera and the one below is from our little point-and-shoot.


Can't remember what building this is but the photos look kinda cool, right?  Still have more Bruges pics to share in a few days.  A bientot!

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

I was listening a little to Neil Sperry this weekend (on the radio) and he said weeping willows only last 7 years. And they are prone to some nasty bugs that usually kill them. So there you have some of the story about those particular trees. But they are pretty, aren't they?

Giffysk8s said...

Nice~a tree branch photo and a photo of weeping willows! So pretty! And I can't stop looking at the stair-step roof. I am really intrigued by that and I don't care that it leans to the left.

And now I totally want to go to Belgium!