Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Place de la Concorde

Allow me to be self-congratulatory for a moment:  I've been pretty productive today.  I took the dogs for a walk, pulled a bunch of weeds in the front yard, put up my laundry, did a load of dishes, and just proofread about 60 recipes for this cookbook I'm working on, and here it is 2 in the afternoon.  Thought I'd update here (trying to get through Paris pics so I can share Italy pics!) and then I'm going to go vacuum the house and take out the trash...maybe after that I'll get in my craft room and try to remember what it was I used to do in there, it's been so long.  Feeling much more productive today than yesterday when I conked out for over 2 hours in the afternoon.  Stupid thyroid.

Anyway, after we lounged around the little park behind Notre Dame for an hour or so, we got up and started walking back towards the Place de la Concorde.  On the way, we made a slight detour to see this golden statue of Joan of Arc:

 

I couldn't decide which close-up picture I liked better, the one above or the one below, so you get both.


Aaaaand now I want to watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.  I'm on an 80s movie kick lately (ok, not so unusual)...last night we watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I heart Indiana Jones.


We stopped in the Tuileries Garden for probably another hour because that's how we roll; they have some lovely parks and gardens in Paris for lounging about.  Then we got up and kept walking towards the Place de la Concorde, but on the way we couldn't resist taking this picture:


Because sometimes we still have Bart Simpson's sense of humor.  I'm almost kind of embarrassed to say that I'm the one who laughed about it first.


So, in the Place de la Concorde (home of that Egyptian obelisk), there are 8 lady statues representing other French cities.  We were in "golden light" in the afternoon when we got to the square (which is why we spent so much time lounging about beforehand) so I got some nice lighting for four of the statues; the sun was behind the other four so those came out more like silhouettes, but this gives you the idea.




See, pretty lighting, nice blue sky behind the ladies.


There's that obelisk I mentioned.  And I think  I said something about how they had these awesome Egyptian-esque lampposts in the square too?  Behold!


And tilt your head to the left, dash it all.  This is the only pic I took and it's stinkin' CROOKED.


There's a closeup for you.  There's also a couple of fountains in the square, so we took pictures of that too.


"You better not spit water in my face, fish breath."


The whole fountain...maybe I should have lightened this up a bit before I posted it?  Ehh, whatever.


I like the green and gold on the fountain...not just 'cause they're my college colors.  The water in the fountain kept turning on and off while we were taking pictures; Lee was starting to wonder if someone was controlling it just to mess with him because every time he tried to take a picture with the water going, it quit.


More spittin' fishes.


And there I am with the fountain, right after they turned the water off again.


View down the Champs Elysees, you can just see the Arc de Triomphe in the center of the picture.  This would be a stellar shot early in the morning when the sun is in the opposite direction, but this was a vacation and we try not to get up early when we're on vacation.


Lee set the camera up on the fence around the obelisk and set the timer to get this picture.  Really, we were just hanging out and burning some time waiting for the sun to go down and the lights to come on because Lee really wanted a picture of the Eiffel Tower all lit up (which you've already seen).  I swear they waited extra-long that night to turn the lights on because we sat there freezing for,  like, EVER before it finally happened.  But I'll share those pics next time.

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

LOVED the Joan of Arc statue. Those lamp posts remind me of cactus in Arizona. Ha! I think it's the shape more than anything else.

Thank goodness it's Friday. I could NOT get out of bed this morning. I am pooped. We started this step challenge and I believe I've averaged 10,000 steps a day. Tonight I'll mow the lawn, so that always racks up some distance. Ha! I am tired and sore, though, but I'm bound and determined to keep at it. The top people are walking around 20 miles A DAY. Now that is insane.

Love you!

Giffysk8s said...

You and your statues! Kinda like me and my steeples. That's sounds kinda funny, but you know what I mean. That Joan of Arc statute is really something! And I LOVE the shot down the Champs Elysees. The lighting is so cool! Kudos!

And now I think I will have to pose one of my sons to get the Bart Simpson shot because how freaking funny would that be? Ha ha!

Sure do love your travel blogs!