Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday Flashback: Bloomin' Beautiful

I think it's time for a Friday Flashback, y'all.  Woowoo!  This time the stamp set chosen was Bloomin' Beautiful, which has two pretty flower images including a hydrangea bouquet, and you know how I love hydrangeas.  We even have two little hydrangeas growing in our backyard right now and luckily for them they don't seem to require any care on my part or they'd be dead by now : D  But the wonderful thing about stampy hydrangeas is I can't kill those, so check out my card for this week's Splitcoast sketch challenge:


So I totally did NOT like the sketch when I first saw it but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway, and I ended up really liking this card.  Usually if I dislike the sketch I end up not liking my card either so that was a nice surprise.  After I made that, I looked back in my archives (I'm lol-ing at the part where I have archives) and discovered I'd only made two previous cards with this stamp set.  What, TWO?  I coulda sworn I'd done more than that, but apparently either a.) I'm crazy or b.) I was mixing this stamp set up with something else or c.) I did make more cards but the computer ate my archives.  Well, I've got more than two now.


It's interesting for me to go back and look at my older creations because sometimes I just really don't like 'em much after some time has passed, and other times I'm like oh hey I made that, it's cute.  And I really like this one.  I can't think of anything I'd change on this which is kind of rare.


Now this card, if I could tweak one little detail, I'd like it SO much better.  It drives me bonkers looking at this picture because the flower strip doesn't have a gray mat on the top and bottom.  Bonkers, I tell you!  Other than that, I like this one, so I had to fix it:


SO. MUCH. BETTER with the border going all the way around.  So this isn't an exact replica; I found that patterned paper in my stash and thought it would be fun to use so I went with it.  And then I didn't want to cover up the swirls with a separate sentiment panel so I just stamped happy birthday right on it, though it's a little hard to see.  Ehh.


And here's one I made the other evening and it just ain't doin' a single thing for me.  I've mentioned before, I'm kind of trying to catch up on all the SCS sketch and color challenges, and I think sometimes focusing on that messes up my mojo or something.  And I think I was just trying to bust this one out too fast.  Maybe I should give the color combo another try with different stamps...they seem a little beachy to me.  Hmm.


Here's a sketch/color combo that actually works for me.  It's hard to tell, but the Crumb Cake panel is dry embossed with stripes.  And I'm digging those hydrangeas in Pacific Point.


This one didn't work quite so well for me but it's not terrible I guess.


I really like these colors together, and I like the sketch, but I wish I'd done something a little different on the apricot bee panel.  I totally miss Bermuda Bay (that awesome deep teal color) and want them to bring it back, like, NOW.  And all my purple colors too.  This one is nice and flat for mailing and I think I've got a recipient in mind already.


And here's my last card, and I'm just not 100% feeling it either (tell me I'm my own harshest critic or something).  I kinda wish I'd done the card base in Baja Breeze instead of Wild Wasabi, and maybe Early Espresso ribbon.  I'd already cut the patterned pieces and just randomly decided to use both sides of the pattern, I like how that looks at least.  I wanted to do one more, I had an idea for something that was a little different look than these but I think I'm mojo'd out for the day and silly me I have to post these things on Fridays.  Maybe I'll sneak in that last card later.

We're having baked potatoes for dinner here in a few minutes...now just to figure out what movie(s) to watch tonight!  Ta-ta for now, peeps!

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

I commented and it didn't take. What's wrong with that?

LOVE the colors.

And I love you, too!!! Mom