Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad!

So it seems like most of the birthdays in our family cluster in one of three months:  February, July, or November.  And today it's my dad's birthday!  (And also his twin brother's.  Duh.)  So happy birthday, Dad!  And Uncle Russ, who I'm pretty sure doesn't read this blog : D


I don't know why but this is one of my favorite pictures of my dad, maybe just because he was laughing so hard with the butterflies tickling his ears.  This was taken in 2008 when my parents came to visit us in Okinawa, at the butterfly garden where they have a whole bunch of butterflies but they're all one kind.  So anyway Dad, I hope your birthday tickles you just as much as the butterflies.

By now my dad is probably thinking that I like my mom better than him.  Despite the nasty stomach bug I had in May, I managed to get Mother's Day gifts out the door on time, and I even got her birthday present sent out in time too.  Dad, on the other hand...well, somehow Father's Day totally slipped past us.  We did order some things for Father's Day but they *still* haven't gotten here, much less been sent on to the dads.  And THEN when we were in Scotland a while back with Lee's family, I was all excited because I found something for Dad's birthday and I figured if I mailed it off as soon as we got home, I'd get it there only slightly late for his birthday.

And then I left the present on the train when we left Glasgow.  Yeah, I LEFT IT ON THE TRAIN.  If I could beat myself up literally as well as mentally I woulda been doing it when I figured out what I'd done.  We called the rail company but no one turned it in, so we're hosed.  And now I'm drawing a total blank on what to get him.  You know, now that his birthday is actually here.  Because I was so excited over what we'd picked up for him and now I got nothin' else for ideas to replace it.  Arrrgh.

Dad says he'd better get a really, really fantastic Christmas present to make up for all this.  I have to say I agree...

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

I think Dad DID have a good birthday nonetheless. I don't think he's seen your blog, so I KNOW he'll enjoy that. Love you, kiddo!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had a great birthday. We ate dinner last night with Adrienne (my one and only kid that is anywhere near us). We went to Carino's and had a really good time. Mom got me a bunch of Beach Boys stuff, and I told her it seemed unusual that I like the same stuff now as I did 50 years ago. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a GREAT Christmas!

Dad