Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Eilonwy, Part 4

I know I said Italy pictures would be forthcoming, but...I lied.  Or rather, those pics aren't forthcoming today, because it's the first of the month and that means it's time for a cross stitch update.  July's project was Eilonwy of the red-gold hair:


Do you like the name Eilonwy?  I think it's pretty.  (It's a reference to Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, which I first read in middle school and they're fantastic.)  And here's what I've got done so far:


Thank goodness the butterflies are done!  They look pretty awesome but it's difficult to cram that many different color symbols into such a tiny area; no way would I be able to do this on a smaller count fabric.  Want a closeup?


Click the pic to make it bigger.  So yeah, I think the butterfly crown is pretty well finished, and I managed to finish the rest of the third page and get a start on the fourth one, where her wings are:


The shading on the wings is actually prettier IRL than in the picture.  It's funny, but I don't really see the shading and stuff until I get a good chunk of it all filled in and look at the picture as a whole.  Maybe it's one of those forest and the trees things.


So yep, I added even more needles to my needle board because I worked in a zillion different symbols this time around.  Even so, I managed to use up almost another entire skein of black floss.  I think I got quite a bit done considering we had Lee's family out here for the first half of the month and then we were in Germany last week (Lee laughed, I brought Eilonwy with me and worked on her while we were out there).  But I did 6,956 stitches in July, bringing the total up to 31,156 which means I have LESS than 100,000 left to do--94,844...um, yay?  If I'd gotten to 31,500 stitches done, I'd officially be 25% finished (again:  um, yay?).  Still, I checked my spreadsheet (I'm such a nerd but I'm okay with that) and I always manage more stitches on Eilonwy than any of the other projects.  And it'll probably be quicker now that the butterflies are done!  I think that when I finish up the top row of pages, I might put this on a scroll rod and work on it that way.  Less chance of damaging the stitches with my Q-Snap frame, though it's much better than a wooden hoop.

I have to say, I'm really glad that Splendid was my first Scarlet Quince project.  It was much smaller than any of the four I've got going right now, and while some parts of it did have a lot of color changes, I think that it was a good piece to start out with to get used to how SQ projects work.  Even though I've been stitching for over 20 years (really!!) I think I would have been overwhelmed had I jumped into Eilonwy first, and I bought that pattern the same time I got Splendid.  And I think the rotation thing helps to keep me motivated working on each project in turn.

In other news, my friend Carrie is looking for a new house because their landlady is upping their rent like, a lot.  So yesterday she came out to our village to check out a house that's for sale just a 5-minute walk from us, and I went to look at it with her (then afterwards we hung out at my house and watched the Olympics...go USA women's gymnastics!).  Carrie asked what I thought of the house after we left, and all I can say is WOW that's a lot of red paint.  Click on the link and you can see multiple pics of the house; the kitchen, dining room, living room, downstairs bathroom, and even the carpet on the stairs were all a dark red.  Even one of the bedrooms had a red accent wall, and then the entire entryway/stairway was painted terracotta orange.  If that house was identified with one of the four elements (you know, earth, air, fire, water) then it would *definitely* be a fire house.  I think Lee and I have turned our house into a water/air kind of place with all the blues and greens...we're both Aquarius, and that's an air sign if you believe in that zodiac stuff.  Anyway, I would love it if Carrie and her husband moved in there because then I'd have another friend in the village (most everyone else we know lives like 45 minutes away in Bury St. Edmunds) but if they got that house, they'd have to gut the kitchen.  Guess we'll see what they decide!  I think Carrie's estate agent is terrified of her too, which I found kind of funny.  It's not that she's mean, but she has a strong personality and this guy seems like kind of a wimp so I think she intimidates him without trying to.

Anyway, I'm off to do something productive.  What, I don't know.  Ta!

1 comment:

Giffysk8s said...

Oh she is so pretty! Every time I look at your projects, I long to get back to my own. But now I have 5 Christmas stockings to make (don't people watch TV anymore? LOL) and those are on a real timeline so that's what I'm doing at the moment. I feel so behind on my scrapbooking, too. Maybe if I stopped starting/planning new projects I'd finish up some old ones. Or maybe I need to start the rotation thing that you do. At least that would mix things up a bit and keep me from getting bored. Oh, and now that I've toured a billion museums in Europe, I'm itching to look through SQ's patterns again. Sigh.