Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pompeii, Part 1

Did anyone miss me?  Seems like I've just been too busy to blog lately.  My uncle arrived on Sunday for the Olympics (he's got tickets to the USA women's volleyball games) so I've been showing him around a bit (Stonehenge, dinner at a pub, Imperial War Museum at Duxford, etc.) and today he's sightseeing in London.  And it looks like Lee will be gone the entire time my uncle is here; he went on what was supposed to be a short business trip and now it looks like he won't get to come back until next week.  But what can you do.

So anyway, today I (finally) have some Italy pictures to share.  The first full day we were there, Lee and I went on a big group tour to Pompeii; we decided later that we should have just found our own train tickets and done our own tour.  The group was too big in our opinion and the tour guide was *awful*--most of the time you couldn't hear her and thanks to a couple of whiny Spanish people on the tour, what we DID hear was about 3/4 Spanish, despite the fact that at least 80% of the tour group spoke English, not Spanish.  We would have seen more and gotten more information had we just been able to get a map and walk around with the Rick Steves podcast, but we were stuck with the big group.  You know the old lady monster on Monsters Inc. who is always bugging Mike and Sully for their paperwork?  That's who this tour guide reminded me of, only not nearly as entertaining.

But anyway.  We did take pictures.  Lee just updated the operating system on the Mac and it doesn't work quite the same way when I'm editing pictures so I don't really know what size these will show up if you click on them but I'm tired of arguing with it.


This was our first view of Pompeii when we came in.


Every time I see something like this with the arches, I tell Lee, "Look, a Roman aqueduct!" just to make him roll his eyes because a lot of times it's an elevated bridge for a train.  Of course, when we were in Rome we actually *did* see Roman aqueducts.


Just 'cause I liked the looks of this pic.


Hey, who's that chick?


One of the first things we saw was an amphitheater with the giant pine trees around the outside.  And because I'm a musical nerd, on the (looooong) bus ride back to Rome I listened to Respighi's Pines of Rome, which is a really beautiful piece of music, love it.  We used part of it in our wedding.


Gotta watch where you're walking since the paving stones are uneven.  You can see grooves in some of them from cart wheels.



My sweetie pie : )


This was up on one of the walls, I just thought it was a pretty rosette.


Kind of amazing how well-preserved some things are in this town, like this column's capital.


This is one of those pictures that just appeals to me for no particular reason.  I like the lighting.


In some areas, the frescoes were pretty well preserved, and in others they were a bit more fragmentary.  I'm still impressed that the colors are this vibrant nearly 2000 years later.


They had a lot of deep red and yellow.  Maybe that house that Carrie looked at last week was owned by a Pompeiian descendant 'cause they had even more red there.  But the living room had Egyptian pictures on the walls.




Since our tour guide totally sucked, I have no idea what building this was in.


Some remains excavated from the site when it was uncovered.



So that's about half the Pompeii pictures; more to come as soon as Mom posts a comment on here (teehee).  Ciao!

5 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Yes, in fact, I have missed you! I've been busy trying to get through all of our photos. And I've been fighting with my tooth and jaw, which I'm sure you've read.

Love these photos! I like the frescoes. They really intrigue me. We didn't make it to Pompei. Maybe next time. We did a lot of listening to Steve Ricks as well. Wouldn't it be fun to have his job?

Can't wait to see your next post!

Giffysk8s said...

LOL I meant Rick Steves! BTW, my fave pic is the one with the "aqueduct" behind the tree. Bet you had already guessed that. :)

Liz Guidry said...

I've been wondering where you have been! Busy bee, like usual. :) Cool pics - keep 'em coming.

CCsMom said...

I looked up those tall, skinny trees -- they are nicknamed "funeral trees" because so many of the cemeteries have them -- they were at the cemetery where Papa was the caretaker and at the one in Porterville. Also, your Grandpa Jurkovich had them in front of his house. They had little blue-green balls on them that had a strong smell. Pompeii is really something. So glad you got to see it.

CCsMom said...

(See, I DID comment!) Love you!