Monday, August 13, 2012

Pompeii, Part 2

Ok, let's see if I can get a little quicker with posting Italy pictures.  I dropped my uncle off at the airport this morning and Lee should be getting home again in the next couple days, so things are going to get back to "normal"...in theory at least; I just registered for a class.  I've got three classes and a comprehensive exam left to finish my masters so it's time to get to work on that again.  I think Uncle Russ had a good time while he was here other than the part where the volleyball team didn't win the gold; I made him consolation brownies.  I'll have to check how many pictures I took while he was here; mostly I was taking pics for him on his phone but I've got a few on our camera from when we went to Madame Tussaud's yesterday.

Anyway, back to Pompeii.  Since our tour guide was so terrible, for the most part I have no idea where in Pompeii we were when we took the pictures so I just picked some I liked the looks of.



Pretty sure that's a set of household gods.


Ivy floor mosaic.  My mom's decorating her kitchen with grapes and ivy leaves, maybe she needs a mosaic floor.


We spent quite a bit of time in this area; it's a fairly large courtyard surrounded on all four sides by rooms and I think it was a large housing complex.  Each room had 3 walls and the fourth side, facing the courtyard, would have been a curtain.  You know what?  I'm so glad I didn't arrive on the scene until after indoor plumbing and air conditioning (though this week we could *use* some AC in our house, it's been a bit stuffy in here.  I should open some windows.)


View down one of the streets.  See the big blocks in the lower right corner?  Those were stepping stones for pedestrians to cross the street if it was wet or muddy.  I think the stones were placed so that cart wheels could fit between them but it's possible I'm making that up since it's been two months since we did this trip.


Why don't modern places have cool ceilings like this anymore?


Little reflecting pool.


View down another street and of course I have no idea what these buildings originally were.


Hey, I know that guy : ) Can't wait to have him back home and it's not even been two weeks.


We met a nice Australian couple who took this picture for us; they were as unimpressed by our guide as we were.  If I had a picture of her, I'd splice in McKayla Is Not Impressed.  You know, if I had any idea how to use Photoshop to do that.  That's Mount Vesuvius in the background; prior to the eruption that covered Pompeii, it was a single slope and that eruption was so powerful that the mountain kind of broke and has two separate peaks now.  That's one heck of a volcano.  Hey, Wikipedia says it's one of the most dangerous in the world since it tends towards massively powerful eruptions and there's lots of people living close to it.  (Why yes, I believe everything Wikipedia tells me.)




A cool shot courtesy of Lee 'cause it doesn't lean.


This was in the men's side of the public bathhouse.  Before we went to Pompeii, Sarah told us we had to go to the whorehouses but wouldn't you know, our guide didn't take us anywhere near there.


This is a bit of the border going around the bathhouse under the dome that lets in light.


Also in the bathhouse; there were several of these dudes around the room.  It was tough to get a good clear picture due to the lighting conditions, but I tried.


Sometimes there's just enough stuff left to make you really wonder what the whole thing looked like before Vesuvius blew its top.  


How d'you like my pink capris?  There a bit more coral than hot pink really.  Got 'em on clearance 'cause I love bright colors.


Last shot of Pompeii before we left for the (very, very long) bus ride back to Rome.  You know the sucky part?  They never stopped for dinner, and Lee and I were the very last people to be dropped off at around 10:00 that night.  Only time we ever went hungry in Italy.  I think I mentioned this before:  don't do a giant tour group to visit Pompeii, I think it would be much better to do on your own with the Rick Steves podcast and a map.  Srsly!

2 comments:

Thoughts by B and M said...

Hey, we learned our lesson in China with YDKJ and group tours! hehe, sorry it was just as bad, but glad you got to see Pompeii anyhow! :)

CCsMom said...

I would LOVE to go to Pompeii. You have taken advantage of every opportunity to see so many things. Lucky you!!!