Thursday, August 16, 2012

Uncle Russ's Visit

I just emailed all these pictures to my uncle so I thought I'd post them on here so my parents could see too.  I need to download the pics that Russ sent to me too so there may be another blog post on the horizon (and I've still got hundreds of Italy pictures to get through too).


So, Russ came out here to see the women's volleyball team and had tickets to matches on three different days, with one down day between each (he's coached girls' volleyball for 25 years, hence the interest in the women's team).  He hadn't really thought much about what he wanted to do on the non-Olympic days, so my first thought was to take him to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, which has lots of stuff relating to World War II as well as some non-military stuff that's general aviation history.  So here's Russ on a Concorde.


This was out on display between a few exhibits--the museum is on an airfield that was used in both world wars, and the exhibits are spread between several buildings along the flight line.  I think we took more pictures on Russ's camera and/or phone (he's a techno-geek) but these are the only two I got.

The last full day he was here, Russ suggested going to Madame Tussaud's.  Lee and I went once last year with Missy and Bennet and liked it, so I was more than happy to accommodate that suggestion.  The first room you go to is set up like a Hollywood red carpet event and just about the first person you see is Captain Jean-Luc Picard.


The cool thing is you can get right up next to the wax figures (it seems kinda weird to call them dummies, though there are a few of them that are even when they're not made of wax) and touch them and take pictures with them.  Patrick Stewart looks pretty good, huh?  Somehow he's not as tall as I thought he would be.


Here's me and cool man Bruce Willis.  He was in a line with Julia Roberts, J-Lo, and a few others...and I thought it was funny that no one seemed to be taking pictures with Tom Cruise.


Russ was particularly impressed with Helen Mirren's mannequin, they got her expression spot-on.  There's a video later on that shows the process when Beyonce had her wax figure made; the bodies are done in fiberglass for durability.


Missy will be jealous, I don't think they had these guys last time--it's Edward and Jacob from Twilight.  We didn't go over there to have our pictures taken with them.


Uncle Russ and Bond, James Bond.  *cue Bond theme*


It's da Terminatuh!  Arnold is pretty tall actually.  Christina Aguilera is TINY.  Like, really tiny.  Like the size of a 12-year-old.


I was trying to sit so I wouldn't be right behind Audrey's cigarette.  I've got a poster of this scene from Breakfast at Tiffany's in my dining room (it just tickles me to have a Breakfast at Tiffany's poster in the *dining room*, ya know?).  Can't really tell how tall she was since she's sitting down but I know she's teeny-weeny when it comes to dress size.


There's a whole section of famous athletes including this guy I'm sure you recognize.  Maybe it's mean, but I was kind of hoping someone would come out of nowhere and beat the pants off him in the Olympics just because he's so conceited.


This one's for you, Mom...Paul McCartney!


In my free time I like to hang out with Nick Fury and the guys from SHIELD.  Captain America and I have lunch together every so often : )  There's a movie thing you can go through but we skipped it this time; Russ didn't really want to wait in line to see it so we missed some more superhero wax figures but that's okay.

In other news, Lee *finally* got home last night!  As soon as we heard his car in the driveway, Sadie, Vader and I all ran outside and jumped up and down waiting for Lee to get out of the car so we could mob him (though Sadie should probably not be running and jumping yet, but we were all excited).  Of course, he had to go right back into work this morning but I'm still just happy to have him back : )  We're doing tacos for dinner tonight...one restaurant where he was had Taco Tuesdays but when he showed up, they were out of tortillas, taco shells, meat, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes, so pretty much they just had cheese, isn't that ridiculous?  So since then Lee's been craving tacos and I always try to make him happy.

3 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

I am so LOL about Taco Tuesdays!

Those wax figures are amazing! My faves are Audrey Hepburn and Bond. James Bond.

Looks like your uncle had a great visit! Can't wait until I get to have one with you!

CCsMom said...

Of course I would have been right over Paul's shoulder for a photo op!!! Love the one of you and Audrey. She was a beauty. So glad you had a good time with your Uncle Russell -- I'm sure you were the hostess with the mostest!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a little late with comments, but this vacation, the Olympics, London and my amazing niece was one of the best vacations of my life! Thank you so much for your hospitality.