Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Flashback: Heartspeak

Wouldja lookit that, TWO Friday Flashbacks in a row!  It's a record, peeps!  Now let's see if I can keep this up ; )

Remember when Stampin' Up! tried that thing for a while where they had a new catalog every six months?  And then sometimes stamp sets were only in the catalog for those six months before they retired forever and ever (until someone decided to do a Friday Flashback post)?  Today's FF set, Heartspeak, was one of those short-timers and I dunno why 'cause I love it.  I don't have a zillion samples with it in my archives though, maybe because it takes a long time to color.  But let's bust open the archives, shall we?  (I say this every time, but it still amuses me to talk about my having archives.  I don't know why I find that so funny.)  Behold!


I am sure this was for a combination color/sketch challenge, 'cause those are not my kind of colors...not as a combo anyway, I like the colors individually.  I'm not extra-thrilled with the sketch either, but I suppose it's okay.  You know what, sometimes the archives are a teensy bit frightening.


This is the card that convinced me I needed to get the photo corners punch, because I hated how my DIY photo corners looked on this.  But I do like the color combination.  My OCD wants to reach into this photo and scooch the heart over a bit to the right; it's centered on the white panel, but the corners make it look like it needs to scooch.


Aww look, I even used this stamp set in a couple of baby books.  These are the earlier baby books though...not digging those butterflies.  Man, am I a harsh critic of my own past work.


And here's a card I made this week.  This was another one of those sketches I thought was just overly complicated, but I kinda liked it when I had the card put together.  I had to dig to find my Prima flowers, been a long time since I used any of those.  The color combo is also one I'm glad to mark off my list of color challenges to do.  I mean, it's okay, but well, there are certain colors I don't think belong together.  Navy blue and black.  Always Artichoke and Old Olive.  Marina Mist and Bashful Blue.  Rose Red and Real Red.  Tempting Turquoise and Baja Breeze.  I got around that last one by lightly sponging the Baja Breeze over the image as a bit of background so it doesn't clash horribly with the Tempting Turquoise.  I love that swirly  patterned paper though, if you look closely you'll see I used the same pattern in both turquoise and apricot.  Wish I had that in every color ever.


And here's my second new card for the Flashback.  You know, I was liking it until I put that Really Rust strip down the middle, which was on the sketch...I should have put something blue in there instead and just kept the Really Rust to the little bird's chest.  But it's super-well stuck down so I can't change it now.

I would have liked to do at least one more card (to be honest, I have six more images already stamped and embossed, just waiting to be colored and carded, ha can I use that as a verb here?) but time was not on my side today so that's all she wrote.  As always, deets on these cards and all my (literally hundreds) of other projects are in my Splitcoast gallery, check out the link to the right (you'll have to scroll up from here, it's just under the picture of me and Lee).  Hope you enjoyed this Friday Flashback!

No comments: