Thursday, October 4, 2012

Meanwhile, back in Rome...

Again, time is getting away from me and I am neglecting my blog.  This week, I've been making zillions of cookies for care packages (and also Lee's coworkers, 'cause someone requested them) and I read The Mark of Athena which DUDE.  That's pretty much all I can say spoiler-free, but Sarah and I just had a Skype discussion about it and how we can't wait for the next book, which unfortunately won't arrive until this time next year.  Agh!  *Note:  do NOT read the reviews on Amazon if you want to stay spoiler-free, because they are totally spoileriffic.

So, parts of that book take place in Rome and one of these years I'm gonna finish sharing pictures from our trip to Italy from this past MAY.  Seriously, it's already October--where did the time go?  So let's get back to Rome.  I've got a bit of a hodgepodge of photos for today, starting with the Spanish Steps.


I thought we took more pictures here but really, we didn't have a whole lot.  Basically, it's a lot of stairs, and you all know how I love stairs.


View from the top looking down all those stairs we just climbed.  They had a bunch of artists at the top of the steps and we *almost* bought some more artwork.  We already have several pieces we haven't hung up but I keep telling Lee that I'm waiting until we get back to the States and have a wide range of affordable frames from which to choose.


Roman skyline, 'cause it's cool.


Some of the beautiful flowers flanking the Spanish Steps.  There were flowers all over Italy, totally gorgeous.  So after we climbed all those stairs, we decided we'd try to hit up the Vatican.  The last Sunday of the month you get free admission, so we went to go check that out.





Here's one of only like two pictures of all four of us together, ha.  We're almost up to the front of the line to go in to the Vatican.



Courtyard once we got inside.  The Vatican gets an F from me when it comes to organization.  It took us 20 minutes to find a bathroom and we never could find a map of the place to figure out where we were going.  Sure, they have all kinds of signs leading you to the Sistine Chapel, but I would have liked to see some of the statuary and other stuff they have, and we didn't because they stink at organization and providing maps of this maze.  (We were pretty glad we didn't pay to get in.)


Yes, we did see some gorgeous artwork down the cattle path to the Sistine Chapel.


And some neat architecture too.


Hey look, I found the Mark of Athena on the floor!  Hmm, wonder how much it would cost to have something like that put in my house.  That would be an instant conversation-starter.


There is so much going on everywhere it's easy to get into sensory overload.  Even the ceilings are far more decorated than anything *we* own...and since you're all gawping at the ceiling, it's probably a fun time for pickpockets.  But we emerged with all our possessions.


I like the butterfly wings on that angel.


It was difficult to take pictures a lot of places thanks to the low light, which I understand is for the preservation of the artwork (though all those giant windows can't help).


Hey look, I know those people!




More ceilings, more ceilings.  Speaking of ceilings, we waited in a VERY long line to get into the Sistine Chapel and unfortunately we got stuck for quite some time near a bunch of modern art, and none of us like modern art.  Why is so much modern art ugly?  Anyway, we finally did get in to the Sistine Chapel and it's amazing, though the effect is somewhat ruined by it being totally crowded and the guards constantly yelling "NO PHOTO!!" and "SHHHHH!!"  Seriously, one would start shushing and all the rest of them would pick it up like it was a verbal wave going around a stadium.  It's a bit more difficult to be awestruck by the artwork when you've got all that shouting and jostling going on.


The cool spiral staircase right before you leave the Vatican, the gift shop is around the top level of the staircase.


And there's a view from the other angle.  So there you have my take on the Vatican.  I'm going to try to get the rest of the Italy pics on here post haste, so wish me luck with that.  For now, I'm taking the day off cookie baking and I'm going to go work in my craft room for a bit.  Catch you later, peeps!

3 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Hello my sistah!!! That book looks good, I've been wanting to read that series!! You and Ree are looking adorable as always:) Miss ya!!

Giffysk8s said...

I know what you mean about the Vatican~total chaos, wasn't it? They've been doing these for oh so long and still haven't figured out how to make it efficient. I'm glad we saw it (I've actually done seen it twice), but I don't think I'll ever return.

LOVE that photo of the staircase!

Miss ya!

CCsMom said...

Wow, I cannot believe I WAS 3 posts behind in commenting. I was certain I'd commented on this one -- LOVE that staircase. Would so totally love something like that in MY house only I don't have a 2nd floor. Ha! It sure is ornate. Looks like you had a great time! On to the next post . . .