Monday, December 31, 2012

Turns Out Neither of Us is an Axe Murderer!

Several months ago, my online friend Vicki emailed me and said that she was planning to come out to the UK around Christmas this year because her son Keaton is doing a masters program at Cambridge (well, since it's at Cambridge I suppose it's a programme 'cause they're weird like that here when it comes to spelling) and HEY guess who lives under 100 miles away from London.  So we decided we'd finally get to meet in person.  Last month sometime, Lee and I had dinner with our Brit neighbors, Mark and Ness, and when I told them we were planning a meet-up, Ness told me she bet that Vicki was actually an elderly male axe murderer.

I laughed.  And then I told my mom, who said she's sure that Vicki is NOT an axe murderer because she saw Vicki's pictures on her blog.  To which I replied "You believe everything you see on the Internet, Ma?" and then whilst (I live in Britain, I have to use the word whilst) chatting on Facebook one day I asked Vicki if she was an axe murderer.  (Wish I could have seen her face when that popped up in the chat window.)  She said that indeed yes, she IS an axe murderer, but we decided to meet up anyway.  Because that's how we roll.

Fast-forward to last Saturday and Lee and I trundled down to London and he kindly let me go spend even MORE money in the Twinings store and I bought even MORE tea (be still my heart, how I love that man...and now I've got a lovely stash of my favorite kind of tea [Ceylon orange pekoe] plus several new varieties to try out).  Thanks to the magic of text messaging, we knew that Vicki and her family were at the Tower of London, so Lee and I headed in that direction and found a nice warm cafe to sit in and have a cuppa since the weather has been very British for like the last two weeks straight.  Once Vicki and her husband Rick left the Tower grounds, we tried to explain where we were but didn't do a very good job so I left the cafe to go find them and lead them back (which is when Lee thought  something like "oh yes, we think she's an axe murderer so let me go send my wife out alone to meet her online friend, we are geniuses").  It took a few minutes but then I spotted Vicki's red hair and we squee'd and gave each other big hugs and hey, now we're not just online friends anymore!


Wow can I talk a lot, that's a lot of lead-up for one picture.  If we look slightly windblown, it's because we are, and there's rain in our faces but I wasn't going to let a bit of drizzle keep me from meeting my friend the axe murderer.  We spent almost two hours chatting in the cafe whilst (there's that word again) our respective husbands did the same and Vicki's kids and granddaughter Emma finished up looking around the Tower and did some shopping, and then Lee and I got to meet the whole crew.  I gave Emma a little teddy bear with a pink shirt that says London on it, but she was too shy to talk much to me, though I hear she thinks that it's weird that her Giffy and I became friends on the Internet in the first place :)  I will say it's kind of funny to meet someone with whom you've spent so much time conversing online, because you've never spent any time in their company but you know all about each other.  But it was fun.

And somehow I never once saw an axe. 

4 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Awww!!! I love this picture! So glad you guys finally met:) Now we need to add ME to the equation!! woohoo!

CCsMom said...

Yay! I knew it would be just fine! And I know the two of you have a lot in common. Great!!! So glad to hear the outcome of the visit. Too fun!

Giffysk8s said...

Meeting you was SO MUCH FUN!!! Of course, I could have spent the entire day in that cafe with you. I couldn't believe how quickly those 2 hours passed! But I wasn't sure how much of me you and your sweetie pie could take on our first date. And if I do say so myself, I did a very good job at keeping my axe hidden beneath my sleeping-bag-sized coat. Hopefully we shall meet again, perhaps for a longer time. Assuming, of course, that I can bring my axe along just in case. LOL

As I told you she would, Miss Emma talked about you after we left. She thinks you are very sweet and kind, which you are.

And as for Miss Amber~YOU ARE ON! Name the time and place, girl!

Giffysk8s said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I stole your photo of us because I like it better than mine. Is it ok if I post it on my blog, too?