Monday, April 1, 2013

Eilonwy, Part 6

No fooling, it's time for another cross stitch update.  Oddly enough, last time there was an Eilonwy update, I was not feeling well, and I've been battling some kind of crud since last Thursday.  But let's not let that distract us from some stitching progress.  Here's what Eilonwy will eventually look like:


She's so pretty :)  And here's what my stitched version looks like thus far:


Check it out, she's got half a face!  I kind of debated whether or not I wanted to stitch her eyes because they've got a zillion color changes in a small area, but I figured that if it's slightly creepy to have her staring at me with eyes, it's a zillion times more creeptastic to have her staring at me with an empty eye socket.  So I stitched her eyes.  Here's a closer look:


Yep, I stitched like the wind last month.  I totally finished one page and I've got a really good head start on the next one, which is 95% of her face.  I did 8,714 stitches in March for a total of 43,364 finished, which means I'm over 1/3 of the way done.  I've done more stitches on this single project than any of the others; the next closest one is The Quarry and it's 10,000 stitches behind.  However, if I added Miranda's stitch count to Rain Blossoms, those two might come out ahead (Rain Blossoms took over Miranda's spot in the rotation).  Anyway, I'm sad to be putting this one away for a few months because I want to finish her face, not least because that right eyeball looks really creepy hanging out there in space all by its lonesome.

Ok, so probably at least 90% of the symbols on Scarlet Quince projects are blended colors (two different floss colors in the needle at the same time) and sometimes the blends are kinda weird.  For example, there's one in the window that's a blend of a very dark green and a very pale peach, but once you stitch in everything, it kinda works.  However, when I got to Eilonwy's face, there was a blend that just stuck out like a sore thumb to me.


The pattern called for a blend of peach (darker than the surrounding colors) and light aqua, and it looked so weird I checked the pattern three times and then looked up the colors online to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.  Then I did two strands of the blend (see above) and just really, really hated it.  I could see having some blue or aqua blend on her face because the window is blue, it's probably reflecting on her skin, and I figured that Eilonwy has one of those super-pale complexions that almost looks bluish, like Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge.  But that aqua-peach thing just was NOT working for me, so after much deliberation, I frogged it and decided to change the colors.  Then I had to agonize over what to change it to, and I eventually went with a paler peach and a lighter blue color that I think blends in better (see the closeup picture where her eyes are stitched in to compare it to the above pic).  These patterns are so huge and detailed though that it took me a while to decide for sure that I was going to change it, but in the end I figured that weird aqua would bug me like crazy if I went with that, and I stitched in enough of her face that I think I'm happy with what I chose.  I'll be really looking forward to her next spot in the rotation when she gets the rest of her face!

Ok, I've been up for about an hour now which means it's time to take a nap.  I sure better be well by Thursday, we're leaving for Spain that morning.  Ole!

2 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Se is pretty! I always look at your progress then sigh. I don't know if I'll ever finish my Irises. :(

Ok, the peach and aqua sound strange to me as well. I probably would not have been brave enough to change it, though. And then I would have hated it!

CCsMom said...

This is FUN. I love it when you do the eyes. I'll never forget making that gorilla for my dad and then it looking at me the whole time. Ha! Makes me want to start my fall-colored geisha girl. I need to do that. I enjoyed doing the quick one I finished lately, but it's made me take the crocheting more slowly. I need to finish two projects that I have a good start on before we come over there. LOTS to do!