Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Madrid, Part 2

I'm back!  Lee and I spent the long weekend hiking all over southern Germany.  Missy would be proud, there were lots of stairs and even some mountains involved.  And I feel like I gained ten pounds and I don't even *like* German food...except desserts.  I get along with German desserts.

Regardless, here I am with the last of the Spain pictures.  It only took 6 weeks!

So Lee and I spent a good part of the day walking all over Madrid as you saw in the last post, and then we met back up with Missy and Bennet at the hotel around 4 or 5 in the afternoon.  I went back up to the room to rest (remember, I had some kind of vicious bug throughout this whole trip) and the other three went out to this big park near our hotel.  The name escapes me, it's something to do with retirees?


It's a giant park in the middle of Madrid.  Ok, I don't know if we were in the geographic center of the city, but still, giant park in the city.  Which reminds me, I've never been to New York.  Lee and I had a conversation while we were in Germany about the things we haven't seen yet in the States, and NYC was at the top of both our lists.


Look, a duck!  I just liked this one with the reflection and the ripples in the water.


D'awww.


And there's Lee hamming it up solo since I wasn't there to pose with him.


More ducks, just because this is an awesome picture with the reflection.  Way to go, Lee!


And here's a couple of non-ducks because they're cute too.


There's this thing called the Crystal Palace in the middle of the park (I think that's what it was called anyway) and it's kind of this modern art thing inside with these weird colored circles.


There were circles on the floor too and you weren't supposed to step on them.  Modern art is weird.


But that part of the building is pretty.


This statue and pond aren't far from the Crystal Palace.  Our last day in Madrid, our flight left pretty late in the afternoon so Lee and I came back here and just sat around enjoying the scenery for a few hours and had lunch next to the pond.


I had to include this shot too because it looks like a postcard picture to me.


I'm thinking Bennet grabbed the camera for this one, and a few others, but I liked this one best and I don't feel the need to post a super closeup picture of Lee's nose.


They came back to the hotel to get me and we went out for dinner at this place where Bennet and Missy had had lunch.  It's like a 9-story shopping mall and the 9th floor is a bunch of restaurants.  After searching for several minutes, Missy and I managed to snag us a table next to the window so we got to watch the sun go down over the city.




It only took 5 tries to get this pic :)



There was an American food section in the grocery area, so I had to check it out.  Apparently, Europe believes Americans subsist on PopTarts and Quaker oatmeal, both of which were ridiculously expensive.  Oh, and they had canned pumpkin too.

And that's all she wrote for Spain!  So, since it took me so long to get through those pics, I've got quite the photo backlog--hundreds of pics from both the Netherlands and Germany.  So should I continue to go in chronological order and post Amsterdam tulip pics next, or skip forward to German castles?

Toodles for now!

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

That glassed area looks like a place I visited with Joni in Georgetown! I like things like that -- wish I had one in the backyard!

Hope you have a great day. Can't wait to see you -- SOON!!! Love you!

Giffysk8s said...

Miss C, you know I am LOVING all of the water photos!

Sorry you weren't feeling well and had to miss some sites. Glad that Ree took so many good photos for you (and for your peeps, too).

I vote for Amsterdam. We never got to see the tulips in Boston this year because of the bombing, so I would really love to see your tulip pics!