Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Med Cruise: Capri

Guess what, guys?  This is the LAST post for cruise pictures!  Ya know, the cruise we took like three months ago.  The last port on the cruise was Rome, but all we had time to do there was to get up really early and get off the boat, then take a train in to Rome and then a cab to the airport.  Note:  if you tell a Roman cabby that you need to get to the airport quickly, DO NOT LOOK while he drives.  Shenanigans.  However, he DID get us to the airport in record time, and no matter what we thought while in transit we didn't die either.

So anyway, our penultimate port was Naples, but we'd heard from several people that the city of Naples is dirty and kinda icky, so we decided to take a ferry out to Capri.  Lee was interested in going to see the Blue Grotto, so we got off the cruise ship and found the ferry to Capri, got off that boat and found the motorboat to go to the grotto, then got off *that* boat and got on a rowboat...ah, I'm ahead of myself.  Here we are on the motorboat.


From the main port on Capri, you have to go around a good bit of the island to get to the grotto.  We discovered after we arrived at the grotto that there were some stairs and stuff coming down from the island, so maybe we should have gotten a moped or something and driven out there.


Lee is your photographer for today, so here's Capri.


And the port.


Ok, so, as I was saying earlier, we paid to take the ferry to Capri, then we paid to take the motorboat out to the Blue Grotto, and then we paid AGAIN to get on a rowboat to go IN the grotto.  This whole thing was a massively expensive tourist trap.


So you get in the rowboat, maybe 3 or 4 people in each boat, and the entrance to the grotto is so low that you have to lay down in the bottom of the boat while the boat dude (I don't think rowboats have captains, do they?  so he's a boat dude) pulls the boat in by a chain hanging in the entrance.  The rock is undercut so that the sun shines through the water from the outside and that's what makes the grotto blue.




Yeah, that's about it.  You get to be in the grotto for under five minutes for the low, low price of 25 euro per couple (that's just the rowboat part of that experience, you have to pay more for the motorboat ride to the grotto).  When we got out of there, we discovered that somehow the setting on the camera had been moved off of aperture, so the pictures didn't turn out nearly as well as we'd hoped.  THEN we were stuck on the motorboat waiting for everyone else to have their turn on the rowboats, and so we're anchored right outside the grotto and bobbing up and down and up and down and my breakfast made a reappearance.  Then Lee felt really bad because he was the one who wanted to go to the grotto and it was SO not worth the money *and* I got seasick on top of that (the only time on the cruise that I got seasick, so yay me), but I figured we were not going to go back to Capri anytime soon so I'd best puke and rally.  I was much better after the boat finally got moving back to the port--it was being anchored and bobbing up and down that got me, not when the boat was actually moving.  So we got back to the port and had zero money because that whole experience was much more moolah than we'd expected, and of course all the ATMs are at the top of the island so instead of taking a nice, sensible cable car, we walked up a lot of stairs.  But we did see some pretty things.


Flowers everywhere.  I like the nice textures in this photo, from the rough stones, to the scrolly door, to the flowers.  Yay Lee, photog extraordinaire.


This is Lee being artsy with the angles.


And here's the view from the top of the island.


I don't look too horrible for someone who was seasick just an hour prior to this, but I should remember not to stand with both my elbows behind me like that.  I look like a brunette Pamela Anderson.


How do you like that building?  No idea what it is, but it's pretty!


I think this is the only empty street in Capri-town.  The whole island is a spendy resort type place, so the town had lots of high-end shops and we wondered why people would pay so much for stuff.


More flowers...



I like this shot.  When we went back down to the port, we decided to take the stairs again (on purpose this time, since we did get cash from the ATM on top of the mountain) just because it was a pretty walk and downstairs isn't as un-fun as upstairs.


We wandered around the town a little bit before we stopped in this place to get lunch.  Lee had pizza and I had Capri salad because HELLO we were on Capri.  Ironically, I've had much better caprese at other places.  Wanna see the dude who ran the restaurant?


Thankfully, he was wearing more clothing than that when we met him.  He looks like a walking heart attack and/or stroke waiting to happen, and judging by how much salt he put in the food we ordered, I'm gonna take a wild stab and say his diet isn't the greatest.  But I can't leave you with THAT picture to end the cruise.


Oh yeah, we're definitely cuter than that other guy.  Hope you enjoyed the cruise photos, Mom!

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

How wonderful. I'm sorry you lost your breakfast, but I totally understand that. How many people can say they've been all over creation like you two, though? Just wow. I love it.

Alexis said...

That's def a cruise I need to go on and I agree w your friends...Naples is yucky. I think Ischia (sp? It's been a while) is right off the coast there too. Super cute island.

CCsMom said...

I saw Dad looking at this blog over the weekend. I told him he needed to catch up.