Friday, January 10, 2014

Rockin' New Year

Ok, I swear I'm not neglecting the old bloggypoo on purpose...I've been studying for the comprehensive exam which is looming large on the horizon--I take the test on Monday and I can't wait for Tuesday when I won't be worrying about this stupid thing anymore.  But right this second I'm stealing a few minutes to post some pics from New Year's Eve.

Usually, Lee and I don't do a whole lot for NYE...last year, he was volunteering at a call center to drive people home if they'd gotten soused and didn't have a taxi set up, and I was at home watching movies and cross stitching.  This year, I took a break from studying and we went to Kip and Carrie's house which is now in the home stretch (pardon the pun) of the massive renovation and lookin' good.  Kip and Carrie's preferred brand of entertainment is playing Rock Band, so we did.


This is why they wanted a house that didn't share a wall with anyone else--this is loud.  And fun.


Lee tried playing bass and the drums; I think he liked the bass the best.  I sang a couple times but didn't play any of the instruments and since I had the camera there are no pictures of me singing.



Karyn and Carrie singing the Cranberries' "Linger" while Karyn's hubs pulls a face.


Hey now, you're a rock star!


Apparently, when one has had a few too many beers, it helps to shut one eye when playing the drums.


Songs performed included:
"Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
"Linger" by the Cranberries
"Somebody to Love" by Queen (Freddie Mercury is even more talented than you think, and to my surprise I found out that I tend to sing the harmony part more than the lead on this song)
"Dirty Little Secret" by the All-American Rejects

Plus some more that I can't remember.  I spent some time in the kitchen with a bunch of the other ladies while the dudes rocked out, so who knows what all they were playing.


And there's us shortly after midnight.  Man, we're good at that whole take-a-picture-of-ourselves thing.  : )

Ok, I'm off to walk some dogs who have been bugging me for the last ten minutes and then make a dessert for this thing we have to go to tonight.  And study.  Ick.

ETA:  I almost forgot to write about last night's shenanigans.  Lee got home late, around 9:30, and said that he'd found out that due to some weather conditions or Hogwarts magic or something, there was a chance we'd be able to see the northern lights from here, but the best time to see would be between midnight and 3 a.m.  Since last night was remarkably clear (we've had a lot of rain lately, but last night there wasn't a cloud in the sky) and because we're crazy, we stayed up really late and then drove out about a half mile to some farmland to see what we could see.  Lots of stars, but no northern lights, dangitall.  Sadie and Vader thought the midnight trip was fun (though we made them stay in the car); we ended up with tons of mud all over our shoes from when we got out of the car to take a look.  And I was wearing my ridiculously long pajama pants (what?  It was one in the morning, who was going to see?) so I had mud all over the bottoms of those too.  We should have taken the iPad out with us but we forgot...Lee's got this app that if you hold the iPad up to the sky, it will superimpose the drawings and names of the constellations so you know what you're looking at.  Last night would have been a great time to do that, but oh well.  So today we're tired from staying up until almost 2 a.m. and we didn't even get to see the northern lights.

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Oh, I LOVE that last picture. Check out Carrie's stockings! Wow! I should talk -- I have some black lacy ones my own self! Looks like you had lots of fun.

CCsMom said...

And Kip and Carrie's house looks so NEW!!! Wow, they've done a wonderful job.

CCsMom said...

Hey, are your wearing your BAYLOR HOODIE?!!!