Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What's shakin'?

Howdy, folks!  As expected, it's been some crazy times since we left England :)  On our last evening in London, we decided to finally go eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.


The London Hard Rock is the very first Hard Rock.  Technically we ate in front of it since we had a table under that awning to the left, but Lee says it's CLOSE ENOUGH  ; )  We both ate waaaaayyyyyy too much (including dessert!) so after that we spent about an hour sitting in Hyde Park lamenting the fact that we ate waaaayyyy too much food.  Then we did this.


Paddle boats on the lake!  That was fun.  Gorgeous weather for our last day in London, we had a good time.  Except for the overeating part...probably could have done without that.  So anyway, Lee and I had told both our families that we were coming to Texas on July 5, but we were LYING.  My mom's birthday was on the second, so we got in that afternoon to surprise her.


We had a super tight connection at Houston, so this is us being really really relieved that we made it on the second plane because we seriously thought we wouldn't.  And to the 3 dozen or so people who kindly let us cut in the line to go through security so we could make that connection, a thousand times thank you!  Because then this.


We didn't get any good pics from right when my parents saw us come in the door at the Mexican Inn, but here's my selfie with Mom.  She kept looking at me and just laughing all through dinner.  Dad said he'd had a fleeting thought that Lee and I might show up to Mom's birthday dinner, but then he thought nah, how would they know we're at Mexican Inn?  Because the A-Team was in on it the whole time, that's how ; )  Never did it occur to Dad that all four of us would be liars!


On the 4th of July, we went to the A-Team's new house for a little get-together, so there's my parental units and their adopted grandson Logan.  And also the awesome '50s-diner-ish black and white floor.  The blue room behind Mom is the laundry room, and the A-Team plans to paint bubbles on the wall in there, which I think will be pretty cool.

And then on July 5, this happened:


New car new car newcarnewcarnewcar!  Dad, Lee, me, and my new 2013 Ford Escape, Penny Lane.  We had to drive down to Houston to get her but she's awesome : )  Now we just need a car for Lee, because so far he's driven Penny more than I have.


Got to meet up with my high school buddy Chris for dinner at Tony's!  Misty couldn't make it that night due to having to bomb her house for fleas unexpectedly, but then...


Chris and I drove over to Dallas to meet up with Misty a couple days later.  I don't think I've laughed that much in a long time : )  Love those two!


So Adam and Adrienne both went out of town right before Lee and I were leaving, so for one night only we had five dogs at my parents' house.  There's Sadie and Vader in the back, and then the A-Team's dogs Dingo and Cleo next to Dad's dog Ginger in the front (G just *would not* look at the camera).  I kinda want to steal Dingo, he's hilarious. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to be reunited with Sadie and Vader!  I missed their little furry faces for two months.  Ok, so it was nice to have a break from vacuuming, but it's worth all the vacuuming in the world to be back together with them now.


Dad wanted to go out to a hibachi restaurant for his birthday, so here he is with all three of his daughters : )

On the 19th, Lee and I drove to Alabama with his parents (who kindly towed a trailer for us) and the first things I unpacked in our new house were these guys:


Meet Consuela and Carlos.  Are they not totally AWESOME?!  (If you don't think they're awesome, you're probably on the wrong blog.)  My mom painted these at her great-aunt's ceramics studio a few years before I was born, and for having moved all over the place and then been relegated to the garage for who knows how long, they're in pretty good shape.  Carlos has a couple of small chips, but Consuela looks pretty good.  I noticed them sitting on a shelf in the garage, covered in dust, and I kinda pointed them out to Dad, and he asked if I liked them, and I said yes, and he asked if I wanted to take them, and Lee tried to give me eye mail and I said yes anyway : )  I do lots of things that Lee thinks is weird, but he just doesn't get why I love Carlos and Consuela.  I'm not sure either, though I do remember them from my childhood, but I just think they're awesome.  I did promise him that once we get all our stuff, I can put Carlos and Consuela in my craft room where he doesn't have to look at them.

So now all we need is to get all our stuff here from storage and from England!  It'll be nice to sleep on a real bed rather than an air mattress with a slow leak in it, bleargh.  And we've eaten at Panera twice in the last two days, because reasons.  Sadly the Sonic here doesn't have chicken strip wraps (what the heck?!) but maybe we can start a petition or something...

Oh yeah.  We got Internet at the new house yesterday and haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished since then, but that's because we're catching up all at once on all that Internet time-wasting we *would* have been doing normally for the last week or two.  Teehee.

Cheers, peeps!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I just have to laugh.....I totally HAD to have this old ceramic planter from my grandparents house that someone painted for them way before I was born, and my husband really, really likes that it has stayed in the storage unit. Because it is my kind of awesome. :)

CCsMom said...

Coolness!!! LOVED the run-down of your time in Texas. We really had fun, didn't we?! I so enjoyed your visit. Wow, the house is quiet now. Liked the Skype tour of your new digs. I'm sure it will be so much fun to see what you've had in storage for nearly 7 years. The dumpster is going to be fed, right?!!! Fun time!

Vicki Burns said...

I'm so glad your secret was safe and your mom was surprised! She looks soooooo happy in that photo.

Carlos and Consuella. Do they now reside in your craft room? They made me laugh only because I love that you are so YOU and I love that! 😄