Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Baltic Cruise: St. Petersburg, Part 8 (Yusupov Palace)

I actually wrote the text in this post *before* Part 7, not realizing that it hadn't been published yet.  Oops.  But here it is anyway.

We get our household goods tomorrow, yay!  I can't decide what I'm most excited to get.  The bed?  The couch?  All my crafty supplies?  It's a toss-up.  Here's hoping our stuff is all in good shape when we see it tomorrow.

But for tonight, let's go back to St. Petersburg.  Today's post is all about Yusupov Palace, which was the home of the Yusupov family, who were kind of like the Russian equivalent of the Rockefellers.  I think the Russians are a bit more free with the term "palace"; this place was a very large and grand house, but certainly not on a level with Versailles or the Catherine Palace.  But it was still probably larger than all the houses I've lived in put together : )


These two were the last Yusupovs to live in the palace before the Russian Revolution made being an aristocrat a seriously dangerous business.  However, more famous than any of the Yusupovs is one of their guests:  Grigori Rasputin.  Yeah, that guy!  Yusupov Palace is where Rasputin's murderers conspired to do the deed.


Three of the co-conspirators waited upstairs while Rasputin was being entertained in the basement and presumably poisoned.


The conspirators got nervous that Rasputin wasn't expiring fast enough, so Felix Yusupov panicked and brought down a revolver and shot him.  He was also clubbed, maybe stabbed, and then thrown into the frozen river, and since then a legend has sprung up about how the conspirators tried to kill him six ways from Sunday but that in the end he drowned.  However it happened, Rasputin was murdered, and this is where it happened.

The rest of the palace is much less murderous.


Quite the chandelier and staircase.


And there's another light fixture for you, this one I think in Irina Yusupov's bedroom.  Irina was Tsar Nicholas II's only niece.


And there's her whole bedroom, which is at least as big as all of the bedrooms in my house put together.


Let no surface go unadorned!  The ceiling.


Fancy furniture...


I want a harp!  Actually I think it would be cool to learn how to play the harp.  Then I could be just like Amy Farrah Fowler.


Unfortunately I've forgotten what part of the house this is exactly.


'Nother ceiling.


And there is the very posh theater inside the house.  And nowhere in this post are there pictures of Lee or me to prove we were actually there.

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Very posh! I don't think I'd want so much furniture in my bedroom, do you? But I do like the colors.

Mom wanted me to play harp so she could have it in her living room. Yeah, that would have been cool and I'd LOVE to know how to play. There was a band on America's Got Talent that had a harpist in it -- a MAN. Ha! Seems like women usually play harps. But it was the most awesome music ever. I am going to have to pay attention to try to find an album if they ever do it. They were my favorite, I think.

Have a great day!

Vicki Burns said...

This reminds me so much of Versailles. No surface is left unadorned, is it?

Loved the commentary about Rasputin. I learn so much on your blog!