Sunday, October 12, 2014

Baltic Cruise: St. Petersburg, Part 9 (St. Isaac's Cathedral)

Oh yeah, I do have a blog here.  I'm really going to have to work to get all the rest of our Baltic cruise pictures posted before Thanksgiving : )  (Notice I'm not even *trying* to do it before Halloween...)  But anyway, here I am again with some more pictures from St. Petersburg, and today it's St. Isaac's Cathedral.


No one in the picture for a size reference, but the doors are huge.


Always fun to look at the ceilings in Europe.  They decorate everything.


The interior of the cathedral is impressive, what with all the paintings and the marble and of course the gold.  This is Russia, everything is gilded.




See the bright green columns there?  They are made of malachite, which is totally gorgeous and possibly my favorite color of green ever.  I think our not-great tour guide said something about it being on the rare side, and I snarked that it's rare because they used it all in the columns (but I said it so he couldn't hear me).


There's a dove in the top of the dome to represent the Holy Spirit; our guide said it was a pigeon and I was like uh, NO.  Dove.


Proof I was there!  You'll just have to take my word for it that Lee was the one who took my picture.  And you can see the gorgeous malachite columns behind me.


The cathedral is pretty much huge, so it's difficult to get a good picture of it without moving at least a half a block away which of course we didn't have the time to do so you'll just have to accept this picture instead.  Next up:  more Russia pics!  Yep, I've got FOUR more St. Petersburg posts.  But wait till you see 'em.

Cheers, peeps!  By which I mean, HI MOM!

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

How beautiful!!! I love how ornate they make things in Europe.

CCsMom said...

And, HI to you too, Christy!!!

Vicki Burns said...

I didn't realize that the churches in Russia are as gilded and ornate as are those in France and Italy.

I think that your jacket almost matches the malachite green perfectly!