Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dragon Boat Races

Wow, I've been neglecting this blog for too long.  We've been in Alabama for a little over two months now, and we've got most of our stuff organized and moved in (except for getting pictures on the walls).  So today I thought I'd upload the pictures from the dragon boat races that Lee participated in in August.  Yeah, I hadn't even looked at the pictures until today.


Just so we remember what we were doing.  There were quite a few teams signed up, and about 20 people per boat; you'll see the boats here in a bit.


 Lots of teams had shirts made for the event; thought Dad would like this one since a.) he's an accountant and b.) he likes to tell me that he slays dragons at work (though I like dragons, so I think he should switch careers to killing spiders or something.  Spiders can die.)


That's my honeypie!  It was RIDICULOUSLY hot that day; I wasn't even rowing or doing anything more strenuous than walking around a little bit and I was sweating buckets.  It's the humidity that gets me.


Captain America here (ironically, she's British) was the drummer for one of the boats; the drummer sits at the front and keeps everyone rowing in sync.


So here's a couple of the boats rowing out to the starting line.


Get ready, get set...


 Go!!
 

So I've got quite a few shots that look pretty much like this.


I snagged a spot up at the front to watch Lee's first race and I wasn't too far from the finish line.  However I was so busy taking pictures I didn't know who won the race until it was posted a few minutes later :)



I caught a ride back home after the first race; Lee had to stick around to do two more.  His team got faster with each race but so did everyone else ; )  Still, they made a pretty respectable showing.


Team pictures after the race!



And there's Lee's team.


They couldn't quite come up with something to do for their "fun" picture.  The team that won the entire competition was a bunch of CrossFit ladies; I saw when they took their team picture and HOLY COW welcome to the gun show.  I have arm envy.  'Course, with my stupid wrist I can't do pushups so I can't get arms like theirs : )  But that's okay.

So, I've got a half an hour until I have to leave for the gym (to not do pushups) and I'd better get ready.  I'll be back sometime soon with more Russia pictures...gotta get a move on if I want to post all the cruise pictures before Christmas!

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all.

Vicki Burns said...

Why wasn't Lee dressed up as Captain America?

Looks like fun!