Monday, January 19, 2015

Baltic Cruise: Stockholm, Part 3 (Gamla Stan)

So, today we're down to the last of the pictures from Stockholm.  Moving right along here!


When I sorted the pictures for blog posts, I grouped the pics so I'd have all the Vasa Museum pictures in one post and all the ice bar pics in another, and then today it's all the other Stockholm photos.  So this one of the statue of King Gustav III is actually one of the first pictures we took on the day.


Lee and I were talking about architecture one day last week.  Seems like every place we ever went in Europe, there was something new and different to see and lots of cool architecture.  Most American cities are just about indistinguishable thanks to chains like Starbucks and McDonalds.  And so much of our architecture is just...blah.  I mean, not Soviet bad, but we got nothin' on Western Europe, that's for sure.


Some pretty buildings next to the harbor.  I think one of those is a bank (at least on the lower floors) because we had to go by there first to get some local cash.



We found this flower bed right near the Vasa Museum, so Lee took my peekture.


And there's a picture of the outside of the museum.  You already saw the inside : )


After we looked all over the museum, we got back to walking and passed this...I think it's a department store?  Click on the photo to see who's hanging around.


The oldest quarter of Stockholm is called Gamla Stan, and for the rest of the day we pretty much just wandered around this area.  It was a little bit of a hike from our cruise ship, but doable, so we weren't too worried about getting back on the ship in time.


See, even random streets in Europe are pretty.


And the manhole covers to get to the water main : )


I kinda love this picture.  It's just a little alleyway between two buildings; I think that was a restaurant to the left.


I think I like the vertical one better.


We were heading back to the ship, and stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to change, when we saw this.  Don't drink and derive.


Maybe it was finals week at the local university?


And they were all done with tests and so decided to kill off some brain cells?  Believe me when I tell you that we could smell the alcohol before we even saw the trucks.  I mean, it was like they'd all bathed in it or something (which maybe they did).


One last look at Stockholm on our way out to sea.


And all that's left now is Copenhagen!

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Fun times! I really like the photos of you at the first of this post. Then that vertical picture is something -- makes me feel somewhat claustrophobic. Craziness! Looks like you had a great time, though!

Vicki Burns said...

First of all, I love the photo of you and the beautiful flowers! And I also love the one of you and Lee. You two look so happy and relaxed. :)

I agree with you about American architecture. B O R I N G for the most part. The photos of the streets take me back to Europe. The streets were one of the thingsni enjoyed the most.

Vicki Burns said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you how hard I'm laughing at Don't Drink and Derive. I an smell the alcohol from here. :)