Wednesday, October 21, 2015

DC & Old Town Alexandria

HEY.  How goes it?  Lee and I have actually been getting out a little and seeing the things, so I'm behind in sharing pictures here...and so today's post is going to cover a trip in to DC proper as well as an afternoon in Old Town Alexandria.  Because after this I still need to look through pictures from Monticello and our trip to Ohio.


Part of the Smithsonian, which we didn't go in.  We do want to spend some time in the Smithsonian museums, but so far we've just walked around a bit looking at the monuments and stuff.  Which reminds me, we have pictures at the Lincoln Memorial but they're on Lee's phone.  Hmm.


I just liked the overflowing hanging plants.


More planty goodness, because I liked the mix of colors and the little curve of the sidewalk on the far left.


This was in a hanging basket, no idea what kind of plant this is but it looked interesting.


We haven't gone up in the Washington Monument yet (Lee's been before but I haven't) because the day we happened to be in town was over Labor Day weekend and no more tickets were available.  One of these days I'll get to go up in it though.


Probably the most famous residence in the world.


Well, maybe the most famous residence in the world, anyway.  One of the most famous for sure.  And that's it from that particular trek into DC, let's go on to Alexandria.


Part of Old Town is right along the river, which is gross and dirty and definitely not safe to swim in.


I think this is the top of a restaurant, I just liked the dormer windows.


Anymore it seems like the pictures that interest me are ones like these, that are just detail shots of stuff that has an interesting angle or texture or something.  This restaurant had some kind of sailing gear or something (uh, not a water baby) hanging up under their ceiling, and these rings were hanging from that and I thought they looked interesting.


Yo, geese:  yo' babies are going to have three eyes if you keep swimming in that water.


Because sludgy.


But people still go sailing in it.


We walked away from the water and kind of wended our way through the streets of Old Town, and I liked this whale's tail on someone's front door.  Right after I took this picture, I noticed there was someone in the house so I scampered off pretty quick.


No idea what this flag is for but it looked interesting to me.  Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags, help me out here.


I do recognize that flag :)


There was a large house or something taking up almost half a block with a tall brick wall all around it, and they had these birds mounted up on either side of a gate.  Wouldn't it be cool to have your own guardian statuary at your house...


And here's the square in Old Town.  Not sure why all the flags were up because this was either late September or early October that we took the pictures, but I love the stars and stripes so I'm not complaining.


Lee sat down on a bench and let me just run around with the camera for about 20 minutes taking pictures, so I tried to get some interesting angles with the hanging planters and the flags.  Maybe a July calendar page?


Stop, in the name of pie!  (I have pie on the brain.  What.)


And last picture for Old Town...there's a truck sitting in front of a cafe (the Hard Times Cafe or something like that?) with this old beaten up horse statue in it and since we had the camera I just had to get it on film.  On digital.  You know what I mean.  So Lee took this for me.  Poor beaten up horse, he's got a booboo on his forehead.

Ok, when I next edit pictures I'll share from Monticello.  Cheers, peeps!

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

Kik, I DID see these. Thought I'd commented, but evidently not. Sorry about that. I do like the whale tail door knocker. Things seem clean there, don't they? I liked that about that area. Not as old as England, but it has its charms.