Thursday, February 18, 2016

I Puffy Heart Love My Friends

At the beginning of January, I was lucky enough to have my friend Tiana come visit me for a few days.  I hadn't seen her in person since before she had her second daughter, so like five years?!  But we talk on the phone usually at least once a week and discuss the latest happenings on TV shows like Supergirl (love!!!!) and NCIS (Tony can't leave!!!).  So anyway, while she was here, my mom suggested we visit Hillwood Estate, which belonged to Marjorie Post (heiress to the Post cereal fortune).  She was married several times, once to the ambassador to Russia, and amassed a collection of French and Russian art, and then she designed Hillwood Estate to showcase her treasures.


We did a guided tour of the house, but had some time after lunch before the tour started so we looked through the greenhouse first.  And wouldn't you know, it's full of orchids.  Love orchids.


I also think this is a great picture of Tiana : )



Just a few pics of the orchids, and then we went in the house.  Of course you can't use a flash when taking pictures inside, and my camera doesn't like low-light conditions, so most of my pictures are blurry (or at the very least more soft-focused).


In the dining room.  You can see a couple of dresses behind the table; they were doing an exhibit on Marjorie's fashions called "Ingenue to Icon" and so they had dresses in quite a few rooms inside, plus an entire exhibit of them in another building.  You'll see some close up later.


Our tour guide's name was Nina (Nine-ah, not Neena), just like my mom.  This chandelier was in a smaller room adjacent to the dining room, I think it was 18th century?  It's colored glass, which doesn't seem like a big thing now but this was when they had just discovered how to make beautiful colored glass.  And you know I love me some green.


Marjorie had a real thing for collecting china; there are two small rooms specifically for displaying it, one for French pieces and the other for Russian.  Plus there's a giant pantry with tons and tons of different sets, and she believed in actually using the china and not just displaying it.


Nina told us that Marjorie had a lot of her dresses made, and she would often have the same dress made in more than one color.  Which seems eminently sensible to me.


Since it was not too long after Christmas, they still had Christmas trees and decorations up.  In the theater there was a gorgeous purple wreath on the balcony but try as I might I couldn't get a clear picture of it.  I would have needed a tripod and a remote.


This piece came from Russia, and originally had cameos of Russian royalty in it, but of course when Marjorie was collecting Stalin was in power and before they would ship this out of Russia they removed the cameos because Stalin was big into obliterating the Romanovs' legacy.  So Marjorie had some new pieces made to put where the cameos used to be, I want to say these are lapis but I could be making that up.


In the exhibit of her dresses.  The top of that one in the front is actually deep purple, not black.


And there's the back of the house.  The grounds are pretty, even in wintertime, though I'd like to see them in bloom in the summer.


There's a pretty sizable Japanese garden.



And shi shi dogs!


This is the weirdest thing ever, is it not?  It's like a sphinx mated with a French courtesan a la Madame de Pomadour.


And this is 200-year-old Leo the Lion, which you are not allowed to climb upon.

Tiana's visit also overlapped (by design) our friend Sarah's business trip to DC, and Sarah is a huge huge huge fan of polar bears so we made...


Polar bear cupcakes!  And that cream cheese icing is SO amazing, I love it.  Next time I see Missy, we'll have to make Baylor bear cupcakes.


And here's all three of us when we picked up Sarah at the airport, we brought her a new polar bear and Starbucks.  Because we love her.  Had we been smart, we would have taken a better picture of the three of us when Sarah wasn't jet lagged and we weren't all standing in winter coats in the airport.

But anyway, as Lee's and my birthday presents this year, we're joining Tiana and her family in California for a week at Disneyland in a couple of months.  Can't wait!  Too bad Sarah and her family can't join us, but it would be an awfully long flight from Germany...

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

VERY nice. Yes, I am so glad you got to visit that residence. It IS amazing. I did like the staircases and the theater -- beautiful. Did you go into her closet upstairs? I NEED that closet for myself -- lots of drawers, places to hang things, etc., etc. Now THAT is what a closet SHOULD be!!!